Chapter 7

I wake to a foot smashing into my rib cage: Grace.

Why is it that every time we have a sleepover, she shows me what it would be like to have a toddler?

I carefully get up and navigate my way over the blankets that cover the living room floor without stepping on any body parts. Once I've safely made my way away from Jay and Grace, I notice that Darren's spot is empty.

Part of me is hurt that I finally gave in and had sex with him yesterday and he couldn't even care enough to be here when I woke up but the other part of me is relieved that we don't have to talk about it.

I head into the kitchen and start digging through the basket of K-Cups. Just when I find my favorite, a vanilla chai, the front door opens.

"Hey, babe," Darren says quietly.

"Hi."

"They still sleeping?"

I nod as he enters the kitchen and sets a large brown bag down on the counter along with a filled drink carrier. "What's all that?"

"I made a couple stops."

I look over his jeans and black and white flannel. He made a couple stops and he's dressed and it's only eight. "How early were you up?"

"Not too early, I've only been awake about an hour. I haven't even showered yet."

"So what was your errand that was so important that it couldn't wait until after you showered?"

"I went to Franny's Bakery and picked up breakfast."

"You did?"

"Yeah, I grabbed you a bacon, egg, and cheese and then I went to Dunkin and got you a vanilla chai latte." He grabs a cup out of the drink carrier and hands it to me. "I wanted to be home before you woke up so I could surprise you with it. You're usually up a little later than this."

"I took Grace's foot to the ribs." I roll my eyes.

"Again?"

"Every time."

He shakes his head with a laugh, his expression quickly fading.

"Everything okay?" I ask.

"I think we should talk."

My heart starts to race. Did he run into Beverly? Is there another affair for him to confess to? Did the package scare him into filling me in on something else he did that I don't know about?

"Can we go upstairs?" he asks.

"Sure. Is something wrong?"

"I just think we should talk."

I follow him upstairs and into our bedroom and sit down on the bed.

"About last night..."

"Are you gonna finish that thought?" I ask.

"Yeah, I'm just trying to find my words."

"Was it not good for you?"

"It was great, Kori."

"Then what is there to talk about? Is there someone else again? Do you want a divorce?"

"No, Kori. No." He shakes his head. "Come here." He sits down next to me and pulls me in for a hug. "I think I rushed you into sleeping with me again after everything that happened."

No shit.

"I should've let you take things at your speed and not pushed for you to take them at mine. I know that earning your trust back isn't going to be easy and I'm willing to take things at your pace and do whatever you need me to do to make things right between us."