chapter One

Chapter one

NO!  I screamed sitting up in my bed. I felt the sweat drench my night shirt and my pillow was soaked as well, while the rest of the town was asleep and getting ready for the day ahead of them while I sit here wide awake with my aunt's corgi Ramsey who just lays there sleeping soundly. I often wonder if dogs have the same dreams as humans or if they even have nightmares. Soon I hear three precise knocks on my wooden door.

“Come In” It was my Aunt Josephine. She came in with her black hair down to her shoulders and a glass of water in her hand with a sympathetic look on her face:

“You had that dream again didn't you Cassidy.”

“They have been gone a whole month and I still feel like it's been a day.”

“I know but your mother and father loved you very much I wish they didn’t leave this earth” 

“Why does everyone have to leave?” I looked up at Josephine.

“I wish I knew” with that she walked over to my nightstand put down the glass of water and leaves the room while Ramsey is still fast asleep in my bed. I walk over to the window and look out I look at the rest of the houses with their lights out and the occasional car passing through. Then I looked up at the stars and the moon.

It was a clear night, the moon was bright and the stars were out, not a cloud. Ramsey was awake and watching me intently how funny  I thought dogs never miss their parents no matter how they are taken away from them. Checking the time on my phone read two thirty in big white numbers.

I was beginning to come down from my nightmare and seeing how it was only two thirty. Maybe if I tried hard enough I could go back to sleep so I went to where exactly Ramsey is and separated the covers from the bed and before I knew it I was asleep. When I woke up the sky had completely changed from its peaceful calm exterior to a cloudy and wet exterior. 

The rain was coming down pretty heavily. I could hear it pelt against my window. While taking my phone off the charger and scrolling through social media all my friends were out of state either surfing in California or trying the latest trends in new york, as somewhat of a last hurrah before school starts in a couple of weeks, I was so thankful that It was summer I could not face everyone with what has happened all the questions and everyone trying to be my friend it would just be too suffocating. My parents and I were very close and if they were still here we would probably be in Hawaii or Canada as a last hurrah. I look at the time realizing it would probably be best if I got out of bed and made somewhat of an appearance before noon. I could smell my aunt making pancakes and bacon and my aunt's boyfriend making coffee before work. The television was set on the news and every light in the kitchen was turned on. I walked downstairs and sat at the counter.

“There she is,” My aunt's boyfriend Alex noticed me first.

“Morning Alex”

“I heard you had that nightmare last night”

“Oh you heard that hu”

“Mostly when you scream, do you want coffee or tea?”

“I think I'll steal some of your coffee,” I said teasingly.

“I'm off for the office Love you girls stay out of trouble”

I smiled at him knowing that remark was directed at me.

“Morning cass I made your favorite pancakes and bacon”

“Morning aunt Josey” 

I took two bacon and two pancakes while Ramsey watched me intentionally like I would drop a pancake or a drop of bacon grease just for him he looked very disappointed.