Nine: Issac Falls In Love

Abraham, during his late years after Sarah's death, took another wife named Keturah. She bore him six sons: Zimran, Jokshan, Medan, Midian, Ishbak, and Shuah, all of whom went on and had many other sons and grandsons.

Time went on and Abraham and was getting advanced in years. He knew he was coming to the end of his life. He was thankful to God for the long life and many blessings, but one very important thing that concerned him was who Isaac, his son and heir, chose for a wife. (While he was still living Abraham gave wonderful gifts to all his other sons and sent them away to the land in the east. But to Isaac he planned to leave everything else he owned when he died, so it was very important to him who Isaac chose to marry.) He called for his servant who was in charge of all he had. He made him swear by God of heaven that he would not get a wife for Isaac in the land of the Canaanites, among whom he was living. Instead he insisted that his servant go back to the land of his relatives and choose a wife for him. Abraham did not want Isaac to marry a foreigner, his emphasis being on religion, not race. In actuality the foreigners they lived among were distant relatives, but Abraham preferred his son to marry a close relative to carry on the family name.

The servant asked, "What if she is unwilling to come back here, should I take Isaac to her?"

Abraham answered, "No. Make sure you do not take my son back there. God promised me, and my offspring this land. God will send an angel before you so that you may choose the perfect wife for my son. If she is not willing to come back here with you, you are released from this oath, but do not take my son back there."

The servant agreed to go in search of Isaac's wife. He took ten of Abraham's camels along with all kinds of good things from his master to give as gifts. He was well prepared to find a perfect mate for Isaac and he traveled all the way to the town of Nahor. (Nahor - the town, was named after Nahor - the man who settled there, which was Abraham's brother). The servant had the camels kneel down near the well outside of town, it was toward evening time, the time the women go out and draw water.

There at the well the servant prayed, he asked the Lord to give him success in finding a wife for Isaac and for kindness to his master Abraham. He also asked for a sign that he would know the right girl. Specifically he asked God to let him know it was the right girl by her response to his question when he asks her for a drink of water. He asked God to allowing the right girl to offer water to him and also offer to water his camels.

Before he had finished praying a young girl named Rebekah came out with her jar on her shoulder. She was the daughter of Bethuel who was Nahor's son. (Which meant Abraham was  her great uncle.) She was very beautiful and was also a virgin. When she bent down to draw water the servant hurried over to her and kindly said, "Please give me a drink from your jar."

"Drink my lord." Rebekah answered, and she added quickly, "I'll draw water for your camels also." The servant watched in astonishment without saying a word, knowing this was the response he had prayed for.

He watched as the girl watered the camels. When they had finished drinking he took a gold nose ring and two gold bracelets from his sack and presented them to Rebekah and asked, "Who's daughter are you, and do you have room in you house for us to spend the night?"

Rebekah answered, "I am Bethuel's daughter, granddaughter of Nahor." Then she added, "We have plenty of straw and fodder, as well as room for you to spend the night."

Abraham's servant bowed down right then and worshiped the Lord, praising him and thanking him for making his journey successful in finding Abraham's relatives.

Rebekah ran to tell her mother what had happened and who was at the well. Rebekah's brother Laban overheard what Revekah told her mother, he saw the bracelets and the nose ring his sister had and immediately ran out to talk to the man near the well. He asked, "Why do you stand there, come, you have been blessed by the Lord, I have prepared the house and a place for the camels."

Food was prepared for the man, but he refused to eat until he told them why he had came. So he promptly revealed to them the real reason he was there. He said, "I am Abraham's servant. The Lord has blessed my master abundantly and he is wealthy. My master told me to find a wife for his son in the land of his relatives. He told me the Lord will lead me and make my journey a success." The servant went on to tell them about his prayer and how Rebekah had the exact response he was looking for. He went on to explain how he believed it was a sign from God that she was the right girl for Isaac. Then he asked, "I am here to ask you if I may have Rebekah as a wife for my servant Isaac? Please let me know one way or the other so that I may know if my journey has been a success."

Laban, Rebekah's brother and Bethuel, her father answered, "Who are we to say anything against what the Lord has decided. Here is Rebekah, take her and go. Let her become the wife of your master's son as the Lord has directed."

The servant bowed to the Lord in prayer, then he gave out gifts of silver and gold jewelry and articles of clothing to Rebekah. He also gave expensive gifts to Rebekah's mother and brother. They ate and drank and spent the night.

The next morning he asked to be sent on his way back to his master, but Rebekah's mother and brother made a request for him to leave Rebekah with them for ten days more so that they may spend a little more time with her before they said their goodbyes.

The servant answered, "Please don't detain me now that the Lord has granted me success for my journey."

In response to him they asked Rebekah what she wanted. Rebekah happily agreed to go.

Her family was proud that she was chosen to marry a wealthy man whom they knew had been blessed by God. They sent with her a nurse, maids and a blessing, "May you increase in thousands and thousands, and may your offspring possess the gates of their enemies."

The servant promptly loaded up and they began their journey back to Canaan.

Isaac was in the region of Negiv where he was living. He was out in the fields meditating when he looked up and saw camels approaching. He knew right away it was his father's servant with a bride for him. He was very excited and ran out to meet them. At the same time Rebekah looked up and saw Isaac running toward them. She got up and asked the servant who the man approaching was. When he told her it was indeed Isaac, her husband to be, she was very pleased and quickly took her veil and covered herself.

Isaac was very attracted to Rebekah and was thrilled with the beautiful woman his father's servant had found. Up until then Isaac had been morning his mother. But he found a brand new happiness and fell deeply in love with Rebekah. In his new love he was comforted from the death of his mother. He brought her into the tent of his mother, symbolizing the very special love he felt for her, and he married her there.

Abraham was happy to see Isaac and Rebekah happily married. He knew their offspring would be perfect descendants as heirs to carry on the family name.

Abraham lived a hundred and seventy-five years. He died at a good old age, a peaceful old man full of years.

Abraham's sons Isaac and Ishmael buried him in the cave of Machpelah near Mamre, in the field he had bought form the Hittites. There Abraham was buried with his first wife Sarah.

After Abraham died God blessed his son Isaac, who then lived near Beer Lahai Roi.

(Life Lesson: If you knew your life was coming to an end soon, what would be the most important request you would pray to God for? )