Sixteen: Dinah Is Violated

Dinah, the young and curious daughter of Leah and Israel (Jacob), went out to visit the women of the land in which they had settled. Her new surroundings and the new customs of the people intrigued her. She was not aware of the wickedness that surrounded her because she had not been accustomed to violence before. She was raised around all her brothers and was well looked after where she had came from. The young girl wasn't suspecting when Shechem, son of Hamor the Hivite saw her walking about. He watched from a distance for a bit, saw that she wasn't paying attention to her surroundings, and he made his move quickly, catching her off-guard.

He took her and violated her.

His heart was drawn to her after that and he told his father Hamor, "Get this girl for me as my wife." Shechem was the most honored in all his father's household and was accustomed to getting exactly what he wanted. He knew once he told his father he wanted her, it would happen, simple as that.

When Israel heard that his daughter had been defiled, he was furious. His sons were in the field so he decided to keep quiet about it until they returned home. That evening Israel told them what had happened to their sister. They were filled with anger and grief for her.

The next day Shechem and his father, Hamor, stopped by to talk to Israel in regards to asking for Dinah's hand in marriage for Shechem. Hamor said, "My son has his heart on your daughter. Please give her to him as his wife. Intermarry with us. Give us your daughters and take ours for yourselves. You can settle among us, the land is open to you. Live in it, trade in it, and acquire property here."

Shechem was not aware that Israel knew he had defiled his daughter. He thought the conversation was going good, he liked what his father had said, and he added, "Let me find favor in your eyes and whatever you ask will be given to you. Make the price for the bride and I will pay whatever you ask, just please let me have the girl as my wife."

Israel's sons were furious at Shechem and couldn't believe the gumption he had at coming and requesting their sister in marriage after what he had done. They replied deceitfully when they answered them. They said, "We can't do such a thing; we can't give our sister to a man that isn't circumcised. That would be a disgrace to us. We will give our consent to you on one condition only, that you become like us by circumcising all your males. Then we will give our daughters to you and take your daughters as well. We will settle with you and become one people with you. But if you do not agree to be circumcised we will take our sister and go."

Their proposal seemed good to Hamor and his son Shechem. The young man lost no time in doing what they said because he was delighted with Dinah. So Hamor and his son went to the gate of their city to speak to their fellow townsmen. They explained that the foreigners were good men who had lots of livestock. They pointed out how there was lots of room for more in the city and they could share daughters among them. They went on to explain that each male would have to be circumcised, and asked kindly that they agree to consent so that Israel's family would settle there.

With little persuasion all the males who went out of the city gate agreed with Hamor and Shechem and were circumcised. So, Dinah was given to Shechem. Yet he had been circumcized and couldn't touch her.

Three days later, while all the men were still in pain, two of Israel's sons, Simeon and Levi, took their swords and attacked the unsuspecting city. They killed every male. They put Hamor and Shechem to the sword and took Dinah back from Shechem's house. Israel's other sons went into the city from among the dead bodies and looted anything of value. They seized their flock, herds, donkeys and everything else they could carry off. They also took their women and children.

Israel, a man who was wise and God fearing, probably agreed that Shechem should have paid for what he did to Dinah, but he knew what he sons had done to the entire city would not easily be forgotten. He was very worried and said to Simeon and Levi, "You have brought trouble on me by making me a stench to the Canaanites and Perizzites, the people living in this land. We are few in number, and if they join forces against us and attack my entire household will be destroyed."

But they replied defensively, "Should we have allowed them to treat our sister like a prostitute?"

Israel went off to pray. God spoke to him, "Go up to Bethel and settle there, and build an altar there to God, who appeared to you when you were fleeing from your brother Esau."

Israel told all of his household, "Get rid of the foreign gods you have with you, purify yourselves and change your clothes. We are going up to Bethel to build an altar to God, who has helped me in my distress and has always been with me wherever I have gone." 

His family did as he asked and turned all their foreign gods over to him, and also gave over the rings they had in their ears. Israel buried them under the oak in Shechem. They quickly set out.

As they traveled the fear of God fell upon the towns all around them so that no one pursued them on their journey. (What a mighty God we serve. There is no force strong enough to come against you when God has a plan and a purpose. He will protect you and make a way through every obstacle.)

Israel and his family arrived in Bethel, in the land of Canaan. There, just as God commanded, he built an altar to God, the God who had revealed himself many years before when he was fleeing from his brother.

Rebekah's nurse Deborah died while they were there. They buried her under the oak there in Bethel.

God appeared to Israel again and blessed him. He told him again his name is no longer Jacob but is Israel. God told Israel to be fruitful and to increase in number. He reminded Israel a nation, and a community of nations will come from him. That kings will come from his body. The land He gave to Isaac and Abraham was now being given to him and his descendants.

Israel set up a stone pillar at that place and poured oil on it, then poured out a drink offering to God.

(Life Question: When the fear of God fell upon the surrounding towns as the Israelites traveled safely through we are reminded of how very mighty and powerful our God truly is. How has God shown up in your life in a mighty way? Have you witnessed His power above and beyond human understanding?  Did you know without a doubt it was God? )