Twenty-two: God's Plan for Deliverance

The men, sons of Israel, set back out on a long journey to Egypt with a goal to keep their families alive through the famine by bringing home grain. They carried with them double the amount of silver, special gifts, and one very important person requested by the man in charge, Benjamin.

Their trip, though tiring and hard, got them safely to Egypt. Upon arrival, they presented themselves to the man over the food, the man they had talked to previously, the man they did not know was their brother, Joseph.

When Joseph saw his brothers, and Benjamin, he was overcome with emotion and he wept in private. He told his steward to take them down to his house, slaughter a fresh animal and prepare a fine meal. "They are to eat with me at noon," Joseph commanded. (Dining with foreigners was a strange request, dining with Hebrews in his home was even more strange. Joseph was well respected and the steward did as he was told, but this request must have raised more than a few eyebrows.)

The brothers were very frightened when they were taken to Joseph's house. They worried they were being punished for the silver they had ended up taking back the first time. They feared they were about to be overpowered, seized, and taken as slaves. They decided it would be smart to go ahead and confront the steward. They quickly explained that they were not responsible for the silver that had been put back into their sack. Though they didn't know who had given it back to them they had brought it back to return it, plus they brought additional silver to buy food.

The steward answered them, "Do not be afraid. God, the God of your father, has blessed you with the silver that was returned you in your sacks, and I have received the additional silver your brought for the food." The steward went inside and brought Simeon out to them. The brothers were very happy to be reunited with Simeon, but were very confused with what was happening.

The steward took the men into Joseph's house and gave them water to wash their feet. He also provided fodder for their donkeys. They didn't understand why he was being so accommodating to them, but they were grateful. And since he told them they were going to be dining with the Egyptian man they went ahead and prepared the gifts they had brought for him.

When Joseph arrived they bowed to him. He received the gifts they had brought. Then he began to ask questions, how they were, how their aged father was doing, "Is he still living?" Joseph wanted to know.

As the brothers bowed low in honor of him they found it peculiar he was asking so many personal questions, but they promptly answered, "Yes he is living and doing well."

Joseph looked upon his brother Benjamin, his own mother's son and asked, "Is this your youngest brother that you told me about?" When they said it was, Joseph was deeply moved and after he said, "God be gracious to you my son," He rushed away into his own private room to weep.

Once Joseph pulled himself together he washed his face and reentered the room and was ready for the food to be served. Since it was detestable in those days for Egyptians to eat with Hebrews the brothers were served by themselves, then Joseph was served by himself, and the other Egyptians were served by themselves. (This was a prejudice Joseph fell victim to because of his high Egyptian ranking, it is also important to note Egyptians detested shepherds.)

As they ate the brothers were very astonished to realize they had been seated in order from oldest to youngest. They also noticed, as portions were being served to them from Joseph's table, Benjamin received five times as much as anyone else.

As the meal continued everyone began to relax and carried on feasting and drinking freely.

Later that night Joseph gave his steward instructions to fill the men's sacks with as much food as they can carry, and to once again put each man's silver back into their sacks. He also instructed him to put his own cup, his silver cup, in the sack belonging to the youngest one, along with his sliver for the grain. The steward did exactly as he was told.