Chapter One

MAISIE

"C'mon, Mais. Do your pops a favor, huh?" My dad asked me.

I frown. Dad only really talks to me when he needs something from me. Aka tutor one of his football players, Roman McAllister the QB.

"Dad, you know how I feel about tutoring one of your players." I say.

He puts his hands on my shoulders. "Mais, I wouldn't be asking you if I didn't think it wasn't important."

Yeah because football has always mattered to you more than anything else.

"Why can't Mason tutor him?" I asked, trying to avoid this situation as much as possible.

Dad raises his brow. "You serious, Champ? I need Mason to focus on school and football. How is he gonna keep himself and Roman in check?"

My lips form a straight line. "Of course he does."

"Great! I knew you'd understand, Mais. Now, get ready for dinner. The McAllister's are coming over for dinner." Dad says, leaving my bedroom.

I groan. "I never said yes!"

I slam my door and lock it so no one can come in. I just wanted some peace and quiet to finish up this paper.

"Maisie? Honey? What did we say about locking your bedroom door?" My mom asked, jiggling the knob.

I open the door, trying not to show my annoyance.

"Mom, I'm really busy with this paper and-"

She cuts me off. "Did you tell your father about your scholarship?"

I go silent. Why would I? He doesn't talk to me unless it's about football.

"No." I say. "It's not like it really matters, right? I'm not Mason." I add.

Mom gasps. "Maisie Eloise Briggs. What did I say about comparing yourself to your brother?"

"You know I'm right! I always am when you try and talk to me about this mom, and I am tired of it! It doesn't matter what school I get into or what I'm awarded. I'm not a D1 asshat that's committed to a school." I argue.

There's a silence between us. My mom doesn't know how to respond but I know I'm right. I can tell she's angry with me but she doesn't wanna show it.

"I suggest you get ready for dinner. The McAllisters are coming over and you better fix that attitude young lady." She says, walking away from my bedroom.

I slam my door again, pissed off this time. I hated when my mom sided with my dad. She's always trying to justify the way he is.

I put on my dinner dress and mentally prepared myself before heading downstairs.

I didn't want to embarrass Coach and make the Briggs look bad.

"Ah there you are, Champ! Just in time. The McAllisters just arrived!" Dad says.

I hated when my dad called me "Champ." It makes me feel like I'm one of his players.

"Oh my...aren't you just gorgeous!" Mrs. McAllister says, admiring my dress.

I smile. "Why thank you, Mrs. McAllister. And you look gorgeous as well of course."

We sat down at the dinner table and Mr. McAllister and dad immediately got into talking.

"I was just telling my son how lucky he is to have you as his coach and how even more lucky he is now that he has Maisie as his tutor." Mr. McAllister said.