Chapter Two

MAISIE
The next day at school I was immediately greeted by Delaney.

"Were you not going to tell your best friend that you're tutoring our schools quarterback?" Delaney says.

Wow word gets around fast.

I shrug. "I didn't think it would be that important...? It's just Roman."

"Yeah. Roman McAllister." She retorts.

I close my locker. "Laney. I didn't have a choice. You know Coach Briggs. He gets what he wants."

I never called my dad "dad" at school. I called him what everyone else called him.

"Ugh just call him "dad" Mais." She says.

I shake my head. "It feels weird."

Delaney gives me the "are you serious right now" look.

"Maisie Eloise Briggs. He's your dad. Don't you call him dad at home?" She asks.

"Yeah...but barely. Him and I don't really talk unless it's about school or football." I say.

She shakes her head. "What kinda dad-"

Delaney was cut off when Roman walks by.

"Sorry to interrupt but can I steal Maisie real quick?" He asks Delaney.

She smirks at me. "Go ahead. Keep her a long as you like, McAllister."

I roll my eyes, following Roman.

"What did you need?" I ask.

He sighs. "Your help."

"Okay..." I trail. "I'm gonna need more context, Roman." I tell him.

He turns around. "Okay this is gonna sound weird and I know we've only talked for like an hour yesterday and have known each other less than a day but-"

I put my hands on his shoulders. "Get to the point."

"My mom really likes you. My dad too but you know he doesn't say it directly out loud. Anyways...we're having some fancy business gala type thing and I'm required to have a date or else I'm going to have to show up with Cassidy Monroe because that's the deal I made with my parents and you know her..." Roman trails.

I face palm. "Roman, please just get to the point!"

"Would you be my date for the gala so I don't have to go with-"

I cover his mouth. Not only was he shouting at this point he was also about to tell the whole school about how he doesn't want Cassidy Monroe as his date to his parents gala.

Any guy would be lucky to get Cassidy Monroe as a date. And if anyone heard Roman McAllister say he doesn't want her...all hell would break loose.

"Yes okay! Now let's not embarrass ourselves here by you shouting out how you don't want Cassidy Monroe as your date." I tell him. Of

He sighed in relief. "Thank god. Her parents really want us to date."

"Why don't you? She's pretty." I say.

But that was about it.

"She's just...I'm not interested." He admits.

I shrug. "As long as she knows that."

He goes quiet.

"She does know you're not interested in her, right?" I ask.

Roman doesn't make eye contact with me.