I

Summer of 2020
Shinganshia, Marialand

This is where they stay crunk, throw it up. Dubs on the Cadillac. White tees, Nikes, and gangstas don't know how to act. That's what Ciara raps about on the speakers of my black PT Cruiser. I roam down Titan Road curving a few kilometers from the ocean. An open mall strip rests on the bank, and new clothes sit on my passenger seat. I drive away from the ocean, going back to my home of Shinganshia. Her Germanic style can be seen on hills beside a mountain. This is an old song of Ciara, but it's a classic, and I'm vibing with her with my shades on. My sun kissed face is clear and I just trimmed my mustache. I feel good, good as this girl going off on the radio. I bounce in my seat, whipping my head side to side. Once Ludacris comes on the track, I spit the lyrics with him. I'm flipping my middle finger in the air. I go five above the speed limit, eyes on the lookout for a white Ford with lights and sirens sitting along the banks of tall grass. They're sitting there, and I can't help but smile with vengeance. I keep my finger in the air as I pass. Around here, we don't ride slow, and the cops think they're slick with their hiding places.

The song fades to end, and Aaliyah is next on my R&B playlist. A girl that was gone too soon. I turn up my radio louder, roll the windows, and pick up my speed. "It's been a long time, we shouldn't have left you, without a dope beat to step to." The male repeats 'step to' and ends with a 'freaky-freaky'. The lyrics hit closer to home than the road I'm on. My lip pinches into my cheek as I picture my high school graduation. It's been a year, yet somehow I'm still feeling attached to Trost Academy. I started off with no friends, gained a spark of popularity, then graduated with no one. I mean, I do have my best friend, Armin Arlert, but he's off to a prestigious college across the state. There was Mikasa, but I believe I burned that bridge. "What would you do to get to me? What would you say to have your way? Would you give up or try again, if I hesitate to let you in?" Gosh, those lyrics hit hard, especially after our last conversation.

"And if at first you don't succeed, dust yourself off and try again." I sing along with a smile on my face. The wind blows through my long dark locks, flat ironed and the top half put into a bun. The freeway leads straight to the gate kilometers away. "Again, again." I exhale her lyrics, not meaning to lose my smile and stare off. Aaliyah is suddenly cut off by Mary J. Blige. "Got my head on straight, got my vibe right, I ain't gonna let you kill it. See, I wouldn't change my life's just fine." She repeats 'fine' as I smirk and hurry to answer my iPhone X seeing the name 'Reiner'.

I answer without hesitation. "Hey, Reiner. What's up?" My face tenses as I wait for his response.

"Eren, hey. Are you busy?"

My head shakes. "Nope. Just heading home. Why? What's up?"

"I'm thinking about you."

I bite my lower lip, gripping the steering wheel tightly. "You are?"

"I am. What will it take to get you to drive to Trost?"

My shoulders shrug. "Gas money."

Reiner chuckles. "You know I'll front for that. Bring your cute ass up here?"

I smile. "I'm on my way."

xxx

The ride started with Mary J. Blige and ended with Ashanti. I'm ready to rock with Reiner, scream 'Aww baby' over and over. The rolling of the beats remind me of Reiner's thrusts, he's so passionate, sporadic, and hard. I had enough gas to make it to Trost. Through grassy fields with trees in the distance and farms sporadically placed. Past small cities hidden away from the freeway, all the size of a blink of an eyes. And through a mountain that separates the counties of Paradis. Eventually, I arrive in civilization, where the freeway got more packed and modern. The city is always vibing with energy, progressive in their architecture but not so much in their nature. It's a different feeling here than Shinganshia, like entering a whole new country.