III

Papa was never too proud to beg for my mom's love. She was a waitress at a pub called Little Nicky's where she had to wear skimpy clothes. A man tried to touch her ass, and she kicked him into a table. My dad spotted this man's vengeance and waited for her to get to her car safely at the end of her shift. The guy was waiting too. Dad sprung into action before he could pull out a knife. Luckily, Dad had his car keys.

Turns out, the man was Kenny Ackerman, aka 'The Ripper'. He killed man prostitutes and ran a sex trafficking ring underground. When my dad stabbed him in the eye, he didn't realize he saved not only my mom's life, but the lives of many women. Kenny's arrest became national news, and my immigrant father became a hero.

But Dad didn't come to Paradis for fame. He escaped the country of Marley right before laws changed and the government demanded more control of Marlyans. Dad, his wife, and his son arrived with only the clothes on their backs. His doctorates and well-spoken language got him a job quickly at an urgent care. He saved everyone except his wife. She died from an overdose.

Mom didn't want children until she met Zeke. He was only nine yet had the mind of an adult. An intelligent child who just wanted to love. She loved him like her own, eventually wanting her own. She had several miscarriages until March 30th, 2003, a year after nearly losing her life.