Chapter 7: Silver Gray

Clang!

Sparks flew as blades crash into each other with deadly force.

Sky gritted his teeth as he struggled against his instructor's strength. Sweat dripped down from his chin. His eyes blazed wildly like hellfire as he fought against the monstrous man.

"Young master! If you want to even have a chance to pass the swordsmanship test, you need to put in more strength! I can beat you with my eyes closed!"

Sky scowled at the obvious taunt thrown at him. He diverts his instructor's sword with great difficulty and jumped far away from him.

"You can't keep on running away, young master! How would you improve if all you know is to flee!?"

The man rushed at him with incredible speed, nearly piercing Sky's head had he not leaned back to avoid it. The man that is sparring with him is his sword instructor, Dedrick Farrow, the captain of the Graham Knights. He was a gigantic, tan man with long, shaggy, blonde hair and blazing, amber eyes. Despite his terrifying appearance, he was a boisterous and friendly man who likes battling to a concerning amount.

"Where was the bloodlust that I heard about from my knights!?"

With one ferocious upward swing, Dedrick flung the sword in Sky's hand several feet away. Sky panted heavily as the sword by his neck gleamed in the scorching sun.

"It seems like it is my win again."

Dedrick let out a toothy grin as he pulls away his sword from Sky. He held out a hand in which Sky took with the grace of a melting slug.

"You've improved a lot from your initial self, but there is still a lot of training for you to be able to beat me."

"...I just need to be strong enough to pass the swordsmanship test, not to beat you."

Sky nodded his head in thanks when Leon gave him water and a towel. Opening the lid of the bottle, he gulped down the water, uncaring how stray droplets slid down his neck.

"But, seriously. Ever since you came back from buying your sword a week ago, the knights you've taken kept on blabbering about how you have an intense bloodlust. Where was it while we were sparring? I want to experience it myself."

"I don't hold animosity for you, you battle-driven brute. I only exude bloodlust toward my enemies, not my allies."

Dedrick laughed exuberantly at Sky's words.

"You are quite different from the rumors."

"What, rumors about me being a living, breathing piece of shit who abuse servants and my step-brother?"

"Yeah, that!"

"Very courageous of you to shamelessly agree with my words."

"Hahaha! Your words, not mine. Besides, I highly doubt that you'll report to your father about me."

"And why is that?"

"My ability to wield a sword."

Sky let out an unflattering snort. Dedrick was a wandering mercenary that had no place to call home until Marquess Graham offered him a position as a knight. He was an unparalleled swordmaster and it will be difficult to find a better swordmaster than him.

He absent-mindedly wiped his sweat away with the towel in his hand as his eyes flickered toward Leon.

'Ah, I still need help with my magic."

"Instructor Dedrick, we will continue our sparring session at another time. I feel absolutely disgusting."

Dedrick coughed slightly into his fist before agreeing with Sky.