Chapter 13: Naive Sheep

"Good day to ya'll brats! The name's Ace, Ace Edelweiss, but ya'll be callin' me Professor Edelweiss. I'm yer proctor for this test and before we get this test rollin' we need to first clear out these pesky rules."

"First of all, no maiming. I don't give two shit about yer feud with another person and ya will not kill or grievously injure your opponent. If I see ya do, I will immediately cancel the round and boot ya right off of the academy. I don't need short-tempered, snotty brats running around in the school callin' the shots."

"Secondly, the tests are a free-for-all. Ya can use anything you want but remember to not grievously injure yer opponent. I don't wanna be in hella trouble because you greenhorns are too stupid to stop."

"Thirdly, ya win if yer opponent is on the ground for more than five seconds, after that ya cannot continuously beat them to smithereens. Yer gonna be a good sparring partner and respect yer opponent, capiche?"

"Fourthly, if ya do get injured, go to the nurse over yonder."

He points at the waving healer at the side.

"Now that we got the rules out of the way, we will prepare for some sparrin'. We will go two rounds per person, but first, we need to pick out who will be sparrin' who and warm up for a bit."

The scarred man took a pack of cards out of his pouch and shuffled them.

"Alright, gather around ya'll brats. We're choosing partners. If you have the same animal as another person, then they will be your sparrin' partner. Pick twice."

The students were taken aback by the proctor's tone and choice of words. With wary glances, they hesitantly gathered around to pick out cards.

"Is magic allowed?"

Aleli asked Professor Edelweiss as she took out two cards from his hands.

"Of course, what do you think when I said 'free-for-all?'"

"I was just confirming it."

Sky listens quietly by the side as he slowly combs through what he could use with his limited abilities. Even though his new body has magic, it is still slow and weak compared to his old body. His five senses that were honed through extreme trials were thrown into the shredder and burnt to dust. His muscles and flexibility were slowly getting better, however, it was going too slow for his taste. His reflexes and reaction time are a bit shabby, but they can be improved by extreme training. His instincts are the same as ever, which is better than nothing.

After the rest of the students took two cards, Sky finally took two cards and flipped it over. On it were a sheep and a fox. A clap suddenly sounded in the clearing.

"Alright you brats, after you take a good look at what animals you have, return the cards to me. We will start with the sparrows."

Sky ignored Professor Edelweiss' heavy stare as he returns the cards. Instead, he went over to the side and did some stretches. He'd rather not tear his muscles in the middle of a spar and get hindered by it.

As he does a split, Soleil wandered near him as he curiously watches what Sky doing. After watching for a while, it was clear that Soleil was just watching, unsure of what to say.

"If you like, you can join me on my stretches."

Soleil perks up a little, before deflating.

"I-I don't k-know w-what to do..."

He abashedly scratches his chin. Sky waves his hand at him.

"Follow what I am doing, but don't go too far or else you might tear a muscle."