Chapter 10: Jade Green

Two more days passed by. Testing will begin tomorrow morning, however, Sky was restless and jittery. He should be asleep to get some rest before the testing, however, tonight's insomnia was worse than the previous nights. He could not close his eyes without imagining the death of his foster family.

Their corpses scattered throughout the dark hallways as their blood splattered messily on the walls. Pieces of furniture were overturned and trashed, a sign of a vicious fight. The acrid scent of fear and death stung his nose numb often when he imagines their deaths.

Unable to sleep, Sky got up and lit a candle in the lantern. He forgoes his robe and goes to the library with the lantern. Perhaps reading some books will clear his mind.

The two knights that were guarding his door became startled by his appearance.

"Young master Sky! Why are you still awake? Do you need anything?"

A freckled young knight quietly asked Sky. His brown, doe-like eyes looked at him with curiosity.

"Henry was it? I just want to go to the library."

The puppy-like knight beamed at the fact his young master remembered his name.

"We can escort you there! We can also stay with you as long as you need! And help you grab books, too!"

Before he could say anything else, the other knight elbowed him hard in the stomach. As Henry wheezes from the pain, the blue-haired knight begins asking Sky.

"Are you nervous about the upcoming test? You don't have to be. I'm sure you will pass with how hard you work."

"...I'm still not sure if I study hard enough, so I'm just going there to study a bit more before sleeping."

That was a lie. Sky would rather say about test jitters than tell them he has insomnia. People make such a big deal about insomnia before and he really does not want to face it again.

The blue knight, whose name might be Soren, looks at him with sympathetic eyes.

"Of course. Since this test is incredibly important, it's natural to be nervous about it. Just don't stay up too late. It will greatly affect your performance if you have inadequate sleep."

"I understand, I wouldn't stay too late."

"We will escort you to the library."

Sky only nodded his head in thanks before going to the library. The light from the lantern glowed dimly in the dark hallways of the new mansion. Footsteps echoed through the eerie corridors, but if a person is skilled enough, they could only detect two pairs of footsteps. Their shadows stretched thinly on the walls.

While Henry attempts to talk with Sky, Soren only observes him quietly. There were many rumors of him being abusive toward his servants, however, he had never raised his voice or hand against them. It was suspicious how such rumors managed to circle throughout the Graham estate so quickly and yet no one in the Graham family noticed.

Finally, they reached the new library. With a creak, the door opens to a dimly lit library, signifying there was another person in it. Sky could only cross his fingers and hope that the person in the library was not Ambert.

He quickly grabbed a couple of books before settling down in a seat. As he read the books he picked out, a soft voice called out to him, causing him to flinch in surprise.

"Brother?"

Sky pretends he did not hear Ambert and turns a page in the book mechanically.

"Brother, I know you can hear me. Stop ignoring me."