three. possible coincidence

✧ — act i

✧ — act i. blinding lights

CHAPTER THREE — possible coincidence

     HAYDEN SAT ON THE FLOOR with her back against Ethan's legs, taking in every piece of information from the news reporter. Two bodies were discovered - those of Jason Carvey and Greg Bruckner.

"Holy shit! That's that chode from our film studies class," Mindy spoke up, pointing towards the television, a photo of Jason displayed on the screen. Ethan placed a comforting hand on Hayden's shoulder and pulled her closer to him.

"Also found at the scene were various Ghostface costumes, a character popularised by the stab movie franchise." At the mention of Ghostface, Hayden's heart stopped and she shot up off the floor rather abruptly. She shook her head and shared the same look of worry with Sam.

"Sam-" The girl cut Hayden off and headed straight for the kitchen knives.

"Pack a bag," The girl demanded, "Both of you!"

Ethan looked up at his girlfriend and grabbed her arm in protest of Sam's words. "Wait, is she being serious? You can't leave!" Hayden fell back onto the couch beside her boyfriend, running her hands through her hair.

"This may not have anything to do with us," Tara tried her hardest to reason with her older sister to get her to stay in New York. After all, it could be a coincidence. Everybody was dressed up in costumes.

Hayden gazed up at Chad and that was the first time she had noticed the boy from the other apartment lingering in the doorway. Sam stuck her arm out towards the anxious girl, a sharp kitchen knife in the other, "You guys knew him!"

"Barely," Protested Hayden, putting her brave face on.

"Chad, Mindy, back me up."

"It is a little bit..." Chad shrugged his shoulders.

"Close to home," Mindy finished off, anxiously stuffing popcorn into her mouth.

Tara remained silent for a moment before focusing her attention on Quinn. "Quinn, your dad's a cop, right? Can you call him and find out what's going on." She turned back towards her sister, "Before you make the utilitarian decision to abandon my college education- our college education and flee the fucking state."

As Tara finished off her rebuttal, Sam's phone rang from the kitchen table making Hayden flinch at the haunting sound, she felt less like a wimp when everyone else had jumped at the ringing as well.

"Who is it?" Hayden questioned, peeking from over the couch. She released her breath whenever Gale Weather's name appeared on the phone screen.

"Why did everyone freak out when her phone rang?" Ethan faced his girlfriend but received no reply.

Anika rolled her eyes and spoke in a disapproving manner, "You gotta keep up my dude."

Quinn handed her phone to Sam, "Sam? My dad wants to talk to you." As Quinn sat back down, she glared at the couple next to her. Hayden caught the girl staring but paid no attention to her. Instead, she remained focused on Sam's one-sided conversation with Detective Bailey. She paced around the room, and as the conversation continued Sam's tone began to get shakier. Something was wrong.

Sam hung up the phone, and turned to Hayden and Tara, "They want me to come down to the station...they found my driver's license at the scene of the crime."

Mindy paused as she put a popcorn kernel up to her lips, "They found your driver's license next to the bodies?"

Sam nodded slowly and grabbed her jacket from the hanger by the door, "I'll be back soon."

"I'll come with you," Hayden spoke up and pushed herself off the couch. Ethan held onto her hand and tried to pull the girl back down with a pleading look in his eyes.

"No!" Sam exclaimed rather harshly, "Both of you need to stay here." The girl pointed towards her sister who now stood closer to the door of the apartment, her pink jacket in hand.

✧

word count: 661

published: 2/4/2023
edited: