Psychogenic

Closing the door, Valentina waved for them to follow as she walked towards the living stating, "Come to think of it. The screams they heard was most likely from my night terrors. I unfortunately suffer them often when my roommate is absent."

Coming to a standstill one of the officers inquired, "Oh the elderly woman isn't here? Where might she be?"

Shifting her weight to her right legs she responds, "No she isn't here. She told me she was going to visit an old friend out of the country."

In sync the three policemen replied with a simple head nod. Keeping her sweet and innocence act up Valentina proposed, "Feel free to search the house. Do what you need. The bedrooms are down the hall to the right. I'll sit and wait for you all to return. Maybe we could sit and chat for a while."

With that the officers looked amongst each other and began to search the house. Valentina sat down upon the sectional, twirling her thumbs welcoming the serene feeling she hadn't felt in so long.

Time had passed and the policemen seemed to fine nothing out of the ordinary. They obviously believed Valentina's story. Taking her up on her offer they'd decided on sitting and talk a while with her. Their shift was pretty quiet tonight so they had time to spare.

Although Valentina offered them to stay, she soon regretted it and wished they'd leave. A pounding had begun in her head causing her a great deal of pain. Also a strange sound was heard echoing throughout her ears. It caused her to talk quicker and engage way more than she was at the beginning of the conversation.

"So are any of you guys married?" She questioned trying to get them to answer accordingly in order to block out the newfound noise.

"No ma'am we are all—"

"Are yall thirsty? I bet y'all had a long day right? I'm gon get you all some glasses of lemonade. I'll be right back " Valentina protested cutting them off before scurrying to the kitchen. She was trying to keep her facade up but her walls were slowing crumbling.

Grabbing three glasses out of the cabinet, she placed them onto the counter whilst her hands started to twitch. Valentina's eyes were focused on her shaky hands, she flared her fingers violently going to the fridge to grab the pitcher of lemonade; pouring it into the glasses.

Upon finishing the daunting task with trembling hands she took three deep breaths, collecting herself. Once she was slightly more calm she grabbed the glasses and feigned an electrifying smile as she walked them into the living room.

Handing them the drinks, Valentina could hear the sounds become clearer. The officers were still immersed in their own conversation that was going on prior to my return. They weren't paying any mind to the sudden change that was occurring within her.

Zoning out, she realized that the noise was not just in her head. Processing the newfound information, her skin turned as red as a tomato. She yet again try to ignore it and attempts to jump back into the conversation smoothly.

Her hands were becoming soaked with sweat, she ran her moist palms down her thighs "Have you guys heard about that snowstorm that's coming in? It's supposed to be a really bad one mhmmmm." She spoke quicker and louder than before. "I think imma get some salt early. I don't want to be fighting with folks in these stores." In doing so it was as if the sound mimicked her actions.

It was a swift, mellow sound, like the sound of a clock booming through a wall. A sound Valentina had become oh too familiar with.

It echoed louder and louder. "𝑰𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒏𝒐𝒊𝒔𝒆 𝒏𝒐𝒕 𝒂 𝒅𝒊𝒔𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒃𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒏𝒖𝒊𝒔𝒂𝒏𝒄𝒆 𝒕𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒎?" she thought, unable to contain herself anymore. Valentina jumped up taking quick strides around the room.

She forcibly pushed a chair across the wooden floor to make more noise to possibly balance out the anguishing sounds. She even tried over talking the noise once again, aimlessly shouting irrelevant questions.

The policemen sat still smiling, talking as if they didn't hear. Valentina couldn't wrap her head around them not hearing the sound. She was flabbergasted. She began to question herself.

"𝑾𝒂𝒔 𝒊𝒕 𝒑𝒐𝒔𝒔𝒊𝒃𝒍𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒚 𝒄𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅𝒏'𝒕 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓? 𝑵𝒐! 𝑨𝒊𝒏'𝒕 𝒏𝒐 𝒘𝒂𝒚! 𝑰 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒚 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒅! 𝑻𝒉𝒆𝒚 𝒌𝒏𝒆𝒘!" She thought, still pacing around letting out a bitter chuckle.

It was them now putting up a facade for her. All the while Valentina was struggling more than she could handle, from them absentmindedly smiling and the sound increasing by the second. "Louder, louder, louder! Why won't it quit already" she semi-mumbled, catching the attention of the officers.

Giving up in the draining fight she points at the boards with glossy eyes as she screams, "Fuck it! Fuck it! I killed her. Lift up the boards and you'll see! I killed her."

She broke down sobbing as she dropped to the cold floor. "Bu-but why didn't her heart stop? Why did-didn't it stop?!...WHY DOES IT NOT STOP?!!"

**The END.**

Thoughts? Hope y'all feel about it? Sequel? Vote & Comment 🫱🏽‍🫲🏾Mmmmkayyy byeee💕

Thoughts?
Hope y'all feel about it?
Sequel?
Vote & Comment 🫱🏽‍🫲🏾
Mmmmkayyy byeee💕

𓂀 𝓛𝒾𝒶 𓂀