Chapter Eleven: The Key

"What do you mean I'm the key?" I ask, "The key to what?" Mikhail takes a step toward me, his face dark and serious.
    "The key to killing the Dragon King." His words slice through me like blades and my knees buckle.
    "Y-you want me to do what?" I gasp.
    "You are close to the Dragon King. He's taken a liking to you." Mikhail says. His eyes travel down my body and I scowl.
    "You chose wrong."
    "No. You are the only choice, Lavena. You are the only way. The only way to save everyone." Having heard enough, I pivot to run away... only, I can't. My feet are stuck to the tunnel floor, my legs too weak to move.
    "What are you doing?" I demand.
    "Explaining the truth to you." Mikhail sighs.
    "What fucking truth? That I'm some 'chosen one'?" I laugh.
    "You are." He nods, "Scoff at it all you want, but you are what you are."
    "I think I'd know if I was some fated–"
    "The Dragon King is always in possession of a power that is unstoppable." Mikhail stops me, "And that king passes it along to his firstborn child every few decades, continuing the cycle of violence. No one has ever gotten close enough to kill him and end the cycle. Not until you." He adds.
    "If you don't release me, I'll kill you, not Alarik." I say firmly.
    "Alarik'?" Mikhail repeats the name, "Since when does any human refer to the Dragon King by his given name?" Shit. I need to be careful. Mikhail arches a suspicious brow at me.
    "I never waste a chance to knock him down when his back is turned." I say quickly.
    "Uh-huh." Mikhail nods slowly, "And yet you won't move against him? This 'Alarik' you so disrespect?"
    "Call him what you want. I'm not murdering him or anyone–"
    "So, you'd rather protect the creature that's responsible for your brother's death?" Mikhail demands. I stop struggling. Stop breathing altogether.
    "No. He had nothing to do with Soren's death. He couldn't have." Mikhail shakes his head slowly.
    "I know you don't want to hear this Lavena, but your Dragon King has been lying to you."
    "I won't listen to your lies." I say, shaking my head.
    "You don't have to listen. Just watch." Mikhail presses his palm to my forehead before I can dodge him. He whispers, and it's as if six voices come from his throat.
    "Unveil."

    With the force of a blow, I am knocked backward. I plunge through darkness, through space... Then, I'm gently floating through clouds. When they part, a memory takes shape. One I couldn't recall until now.
    "Come on, Lavena! Don't be a wimp!" My twin brother jumps and kicks the air with a wide, mischievous grin on his face. I clamor after him.
    "I'm not a wimp, Soren!"
    "Oh yeah?" He taunts, "Why won't you go in the old barn then?"
    "Because it's falling down!" I exclaim.
    "Excuses, excuses." Soren tisks.
    "It's not an excuse, it's–" I start, but Soren ducks and rolls into the abandoned barn. I stop and bite my lip, staring up at it. Then, with a gulp of courage, I follow my brother inside.

    "See?" He asks, "It's not falling down at all!"
    "Okay fine." I sigh, "But what if–" Suddenly, a monstrous roar shakes the barn and the ground beneath my feet.
    "Wait. Th-that could be–"
    "D-don't worry, Lavena." Soren stutters, "The dragons only come down here on the Solstice. It's not–" Then, the roar comes again, and the barn erupts in blue dragon flame. I scream, coughing and choking in the thick smoke. Soren takes my tiny hand and pulls me toward the door.
    "We have to get out of here!" He yells, "Come on!" A white-hot flame lashes at my back. I shriek and trip as the pain blurs my vision. Then, a beam comes crashing down, right for me.
    "Lavena!" Soren screams. A split second before the beam hits me, Soren shoves me out of the way. Dust and debris sting my eyes. When my vision clears, Soren is crushed, pinned to the ground by the beam. He coughs and grimaces in pain.
"Soren!" I gasp. I try to pull him free from under the beam, but it's no use. The smoke and flames grow stronger. 
"It's no use, Lavena." Soren cries, "I'm stuck!" Blood trickles from his mouth as he gives me a weak smile.
"You have to go." He says.
"No, Soren! You have to come with me!" I cry.
"I'm sorry I brought you here, Lavena. I should have listened to you." Tears rise in his eyes, though he continues to smile bravely.
"I'm really sorry." He says. Somewhere, deep in my heart, I know these are the last words I'll ever hear him say. I open my mouth to speak, but I don't know what to do with all my grief and panic. Squeezing my eyes shut, I bolt for the exit.
"I'm sorry, Lavena. I'm sorry." Soren's voice echoes.