Chapter Seventeen: Sparks Of War

I feel a new level of control and connection to my power. The flames from the fire whisper to me, almost as though accepting me fully for the first time. I hurl both my arms into the air with force and the flames hurdle upward, as though they are extensions of my arms, blasting a blackened hole in the stone-carved ceiling.
    "Lavena... you..." Alarik gapes in awe and wonder as the flames dance over me.
    "I think... I think I can control it now." I gasp as the power pulses within my veins, as though it has its own heartbeat, its own life force. It comes to me as though it's chosen me. Alarik opens his mouth to speak, but suddenly, I hear footsteps descending into the prison. My heart skips a beat.
    "Is it dawn?" I ask quickly. Alarik looks around the cell, but there are no windows.
    "Lavena, you have to leave me. You can get away now."
    "No." I say firmly, "They're planning to execute you. I can't–" The footsteps are too close now. I close my eyes and breathe my power away, donning my clothes again.
    "Damn it," Alarik growls as he pulls his pants on, glaring at the ground, "If you don't get out of here, what is the point of any of this?"
    "The point is I'll find a way to free us both." I sigh, frustrated.
    "Can't you see that's impossible?" Alarik demands, his hands shaking against the chains that hold him, "Watching my brother hurt you like he did... it almost killed me. I can't go through that again. I can't let you go through that again." The guards arrive at the door, armed to the teeth and scowling at us.
    "Well, if it isn't the false king and his human whore." A male guard laughs.
    "Afraid time's up for you both. Lord Killian has... quite a lot planned for you." Laughs another female guard. Alarik snarls as they open the cell, drawing nearer to us. He whispers to me under his breath.
    "Lavena. When they get close, I want you to run for that crack in the wall. You can make it."
    "No." I huff, "You're powerless in those chains, remember? You can't–"
    "I don't care." He cuts in, "Just do it." The tallest guard draws closer, releasing his venomous fangs with a sickening smile.
    "I wonder... with your power drained, what will dragon's venom feel like in your veins?" Alarik growls, glaring daggers at the guard. My eyes flick to the candles on the wall, the power within me simmering just beneath the surface, waiting to be called forth.
    "Don't, Lavena." Alarik says firmly, "Just go!" At that, the guards dart forward, arms outstretched and fangs ready to attack. Sharing one last look with Alarik, I sprint for the crack in the wall.
    "Get her!" The guards yell.
    "Go, Lavena!" I hear Alarik yell. The last thing I see as I squeeze through the hole is Alarik's fearful eyes as the guards sink their fangs into his flesh.

    His screams echo, even through the thick wall that I scrape through. My heart twists in my chest as I tumble out to safety. Oh, god. Alarik, I'm sorry. Guilty tears fleck my eyes. I sprint back into the castle and try desperately to find my way back down to the cell. I have to save him. I stay quiet, sneaking through the hallways and down the stairs as I watch dragons wander the halls. When I finally make it down to the cell, the guards are slumped at Alarik's feet as he writhes on the ground in pain.
    "Alarik, how did you–" I gasp, dropping to my knees before him.
    "It took– a lot of– effort–" Alarik manages out through his screams. I quickly find the guard's keys and unlock his chains. When he's released from the spelled bindings, his pain finally ebbs. He hits the ground, completely out of breath.
    "You came back." He huffs, "After I told you not to."
    "I couldn't leave you." I shoot back, "I told you I was going to find a way to free us both." When Alarik has enough strength, he pulls himself up. We both silently dress in the guard's clothes.
    "Wait," Alarik says suddenly.
    "What is it?" I ask. He points at the thin gold chain that is my slave's collar.
    "It's time you take that off." He says with a smile, "We don't need to hide you anymore. You don't need to masquerade as a slave for one more second of your life." My fingers trace the thin gold chain at my throat. I reach back and unclasp the golden collar from my throat, letting it fall to the ground. My bare neck feels as light as air. I face Alarik with a restored sense of freedom.
    "Better?" I ask. His eyes trail over my uncollared throat... my thick leather dragon armor...
    "You look ready for anything that could come your way." He laughs. Together, we leave the cell, shutting the door and locking the two guards inside.