trois

this chapter is told through an omniscient POV.

...

ISMENE ROSE WITH THE SUN THAT MORNING as it peaked its golden rays through the ravenclaw girls' dormitory. the sky had turned a soothing pinkish color, and the girl felt oddly at peace. she had spent most of the night lying awake in idle frisson and anticipation, what could she expect from term? what classes would she take?

it would be her first time at a real school. even though she was sent to hogwarts under unfortunate circumstances, that was no reason to derail from the fact that as of this moment, and as of today; she no longer had to bear the burden of being ismene riddle. or so she thought.

"you alright?" ismene asked, walking upon mattheo who was outside the great hall. she looked at him, the boy seemed to be lost in thought, fidgeting with a button on his slytherin robe.

"i'm fine," he insisted quickly, fixing his tie before putting his hand up. "just tired. don't go psychoanalyzing me."

she rolled her eyes, "well excuse me for caring about your well-being. but from what?" ismene asked, checking her appearance in one of the mirrors. she ruffled the blonde hair, fixing her bangs and pouting at herself. "i'm kinda love this hair, matt, i can't lie."

he smiled slightly, glancing at her in the mirror. "suits you. but nothing too important, just talking with the guys at the dorm late last night. getting a feel for the school and shit."

ismene nodded before smiling. "well i'm kind of excited. it's our first day at an actual school." she always dreamed of going to school like a normal teenager. well, as normal as a teenage witch with a murderous rampage of a father could be.

mattheo kissed his teeth. "now i actually have to do the work. back home i could just do nothing all day. what are you gonna tell tom riddle? you're failing his son in math? yeah right. he'd kill you." he laughed, mimicking the flick of the wand motion used for avada kedavra, one he had seen the effects of too many times, and referring to how his home school tutors would never let his dad know if he was failing out of fear of being killed- or worse.

ismene shook her head and pulled his hand down quick. if any of the professors saw that he'd be straight on his way to azkaban without question. "stop that. you're already on thin ice with our last name!" she hissed in true older sister form, grabbing his arm as the two began to walk into the great hall. "you're not right up there." she spoke, knocking on his head.

"i ain't wrong either." he laughed causing her to break into a smile. she hit his chest with the back of her hand and the two laughed together for a second, earning looks from a few students which they returned. a riddle and a malfoy laughing together? oh no!

"it's fine. i'll just copy off of you this year since you're in ravenclaw and shit, nerd." mattheo's laugh was cut off by a shoulder checking his harshly, causing him to stumble. his brows furrowed and he turned to see a boy with round glasses, brunette hair and a scar on his forehead looking at him. the boy was followed by two other kids in red robes, a ginger boy and a brunette girl. the two siblings looked at each other before looking back at the trio as they passed.

"the fuck was that about?" mattheo asked, looking back at the trio. "that guy totally just shoulder checked me."

ismene sighed, she knew why he got shoulder checked. "mattheo that's harry." she continued walking, watching the trio as they took a seat at the gryffindor table and looked at her and mattheo, whispering amongst themselves. could they make it any more obvious they were talking shit?