Deception & Betrayal - CG Short Story

A/N will be at the bottom this time :)

Vesper POV

Vesper walked slowly along the wall, one hand on the smooth stone. Being partially blind wasn't helping the fact that she was being tracked by a cult. A cult who used to be my friends, she thought, tears welling in her remaining eye. If it weren't for them, I would still be able to see out of my left eye. Her eyes narrowed as she walked along, platform boots making clomping noises along on the asphalt. The pockets in her cargo pants rang with sounds of metal.

Her horns and wings were scratched and dull from days of hiding. Her hoodie and cargo pants were full of rips and tears, but most of her pockets were still usable. The backpack containing her supplies was small, but contained everything she needed to survive. She bared her fangs in annoyance, her forked dragon tongue flickering.

She turned around the corner and emerged into a large field filled with trees. Fruit trees, she realized. Pulling open a medium sized sack that hung around her waist, she walked from tree to tree, gathering fruit and storing it away.

Once she was done, she walked to an opening where there was enough room to spread her wings. She beat them hard and lifted off the ground. She eyed a mountain that looked suitable enough for her to hide for a while and began to fly in that direction.

After 4 hours of flying, she realized that it might take a few days to reach the mountain. Glancing at the sky, she exclaimed, "Sunset already? Must have been later than I thought when I left." Looking down, she spied a small grove of trees that she could hide in for the night.

As she set up camp, she constantly checked her surroundings. Once she was done, she pulled a small square device out of her pocket and pressed the button. An almost clear force field expanded from the little thing. The dragon hybrid strapped it to her wrist and settled down.

She made a small meal from some of the fruit she had gathered and some nuts she pulled off a nearby plant. She also managed to catch a squirrel or two and cooked them on a small burner she had in her backpack.

After cleaning up her area, she settled down to sleep. Peace was hers, but for a short while only. Suddenly, she was jolted awake by a loud blast. Her force field vibrated with the impact of whatever had hit it. Bright lights blared in her vision. "Crap," she muttered, glad that everything was all packed away. Grabbing her stuff, she shoved herself further into the trees and deactivated the force field.

Loud shouts rang through the air. "Find her. I know she's here. She's too predictable." Vesper flinched at the voice. Sharp and cold, it belonged to her ex-girlfriend, Willow. She could see flashes of her here and there. Tall, semi-dark skinned, and reeking of vengeance, she was here.

"Willow, why do you insist on following her," another familiar voice rang out. The hybrid winced, pulling her red hoodie tighter around her. That voice belonged to Swift. She and the fluffy blue dragon had been close, but when Vesper had to vanish, she became distant. She didn't write like she had promised.

"She stole the Chaos Beings scythe, and now they're mad. Is that not a good reason?" Another voice snarled, sounding odd and distorted. That's Death speaking, Vesper realized. Her former friend had an alter who was set on ruling the world, but Swift was the host, therefore having most of the control.

"Silence," Willow ordered, "Spread out and search the area. Her force field is down. She can't have gone far." I haven't gone anywhere, Vesper thought to herself as she began to look for ways out. I could use my magic, she thought, I can make a clone of myself. I haven't done that yet. A wave of wind buffeted her as she shifted positions.