When You're Dreaming, All Your Nightmares...

A SPECIAL ADDITIONAL CHAPTER TO THIS COLLECTION BECAUSE ITS ALMOST aT 100K READS!! also tw for panic attacks, trauma and dubious past-events

-

Enid sat cross-legged, a weathered volume of Moby-Dick in hand, blue eyes half open and skimming over the same exact sentence she had been looking at for the past hour. Or at least, she thinks it had been an hour. The sun had been dipping when she'd flipped the book open and now the moon hung proudly in its place. This old book was so stale and faded, it was hard to tell how much time she spent struggling by each brain-rotting paragraph.

With a barely audible, drained sigh, the werewolf lifted her gaze from the bland reading material upward. Enid would consider herself quite the bookworm even if she indulged in online literacy mostly, but this book— commonly referred to as a classic that she now held was revealing itself to be as interesting as watching ink dry. With a grimace, the girl carefully clamped the whaleboat's tome shut, and laid it on the frostbitten dirt beside her.

A girls camping trip had been Yoko's idea— who had disappeared not three hours into the impromptu trip due to the deadly sun allergy she'd overlooked when brazenly tossing her sunglasses into a passing ravine as a testament to not allowing her vampirism to control her (Wednesday's eyes had rolled so far back into her head Enid had to tap the back of her skull to get them to pop out again), which left just the pair of roommates alone in the frigid forest that sat astride Nevermore Academy's warm campus and comfortable bedding.

The fire just a little ways in front of her had dimmed to give off a soothing orange glow, the smallest of flames still flickering hungrily over a charred tangle of twigs. It wasn't like she needed the light with supernatural sight, but the heat pricking at her naturally warmer skin was a pleasant sensation anyhow, and it did illuminate the broody raven who rested (if you could call tersely sat up resting) in a similar position (if you called ram-rod spined and unblinking similar) on the other side of it in a sort of flattering way.

Well— not sort of. Her inky hair drew the eye and the flickering of the fire seemed to lead her shadows in a lovers waltz across the ground. She was enthralling— even if she refuted the idea of a coat in the bordering negatives and sat in a skirt and loose sweater as though it would do anything to aid her.

It made Enid's hackles rise at the silent threat that was hypothermia sneaking about the pale teen.

Unaware of the soft smile curling her lips, Enid dropped her wrists holding the god awful novel to focus fully on the girl rather than the completely boring book she had set dangling near her feet. The quiet chatter of the night was joined by the routine sching of said girl's ebony dagger being scraped by a whetstone.

(Another odd addition to their trip, but not one completely unfounded when they were within the domain that had been the coliseum for the Hyde versus the World situation from the year prior.)

Up into the latest hours of evening the broody girl had been maintaining her weapon, sharpening and cleaning its already razor edges with a restless energy.

Despite their entire day consisting of walking miles upon miles through forests and grasslands on a wild goose chase to discover a mythic fairy coven, the dark haired girl showed no sign of fatigue, or maybe she was just in that state where she was so deliriously tired, that she refused to feel tired anymore? If there was anyone Enid knew that could wrestle their own exhaustion into submission, it was Wednesday Addams.

With a fond shake of her head, Enid tilted it back to gaze into the sky. The trees were offering a clear picture of the sky in this little clearing they pitched camp in, and Jericho's midnight colors were quite beautiful, especially so far deep that they were, a light-show of purples, blues, and reds shimmering along with the stars. She admired the brilliant glow of the waxing moon too, no matter how dully it sung its siren song to her.