3

"Harris!" Charlotte smiled warmly as James Potter drew closer, slowing to a jog as he neared her.

"Potter." She nodded, scanning the area for the rest of the posse as they walked side by side, the Quidditch player not even out of breath from his short run.

"Question." He began, slowly, and Charlotte immediately knew where it was headed.

"Sure?" She looked to him, wide eyed.

"Just was wondering if you were going to Hogsmeade next weekend?" He ran his free hand through his bangs, letting them fall back against his forehead, his other hand gripping the strap of his book-bag over his shoulder.

"Yeah, definitely. I've been waiting all term." She replied, easily, now positive she knew where this was headed. Lily.

"Okay, cool." His head bobbed a few times before he spoke again. "And... by chance... Is Evans going?"

"I'm pretty sure." Charlotte smiled up at the tall boy beside her, jealous for only a second of her friend. To have a boy this enamored by you.

"Would you help me out, Charlotte?" His voice was softer now, as if the entire school didn't know of his feelings towards his house-mate. "Come to Hogsmeade with us Saturday? I'll buy drinks at Three Broomsticks. For you and Evans and Marlene, whoever you want to bring."

He wore a lopsided grin, his teeth sparkling even in the dimly lit hallway, his large brown eyes searching hers eagerly.

"You don't have to do that. Of course, I'll bring her." Charlotte answered, sincerely.

"Oh, I insist." James face lit up at her answer, his pace down the hallway now twice as peppy. "Where are we going, anyways?"

"Turn my Astronomy paper in. She gave me a few extra hours, thankfully." She rummaged through the bag at her hip nervously as they neared the professors office.

"God, between you and Remus, it's feeling a little too much like school these days." James teased. "I'll catch you later, then." Before he could turn away, a loud crack sounded as a small burst of fire and smoke broke only a centimeter from James' glasses. He jumped away, eyes scanning quickly over Charlotte before spinning wildly through the hallway. "What was that?"

Though her heart was beating very fast still, her eyes caught the dangling feet over the railing of the staircase above them, her lips creeping into a smile as James spun once again, catching her eyes and following them up to the three Gryffindor's above.

"I fuckin' knew it! You wankers, I'm coming up there!" He bellowed, racing towards the stairs as the feet disappeared through the stairs. "You're lucky I don't have my broom!"

The crash came only seconds before Charlotte smelled the smoke, glancing down towards the end of the hallway, eyes wide. Had that been an explosion? Was there a fire? She fumbled with her book, shoving it into her bag and climbing to her feet just as the two boys rounded the corner, grins plastered on their face, steps faltering for only a second when their eyes met the blonde's.

"Charlotte!" Sirius hissed, his voice sounding giddy. They still had not slowed down, Sirius reaching her side first and wasting no time before his hand was wrapped in hers, yanking her into motion, her arm pulling uncomfortably as she let herself be dragged with them down the hallway.

"What did you do?" She yelled, not caring to keep her voice down with the racket they were making on their own, rushing around the castle.