The Void

A/N: extremely short chapter. just wanted to give an update. next chapter will be normal-length! i promise!

He blinked.

He was in a strange, all-black room that seemed more like a void than anything else. There was no light, nothing breaking through the thick shadows that surrounded his body.

A voice echoed around him.

"It is time."

He winced at the sound of the voice, the voice seemingly piercing his ears and giving him almost an instant headache.

"Who are you?" he yelled, whirling around. He wasn't quite sure how he was standing, as it looked like he was simply floating in a void. Humans couldn't float. Perhaps magic? Or maybe it was the dragon to blame. "Where the fuck am I?"

"Why, you're here, of course."

A figure stepped out from the shadows.

He stumbled back, eyes narrowing in suspicion at the mysterious figure. "Who the fuck are you?"

Another figure appeared on his right, almost identical to the other being in every way except his smaller stature.

"What the fuck is happening," he gasped, panic seizing him. He had no idea what was going on, and all he wanted to do was run.

"Please. Stay calm. We mean you no harm," the smaller figure said in a voice barely more than a whisper.

'Who are you?" Cale repeated. "Where am I?"

The figures pulled down their hoods, revealing two horrifyingly familiar faces and hair colors.

He froze. He couldn't move, despite how much he wanted to flee, to run away and find a way out of the void.

The figures stepped forward and they each laid a hand- hands he knew so intimately- on both sides of his head.

"Remember..." the figures whispered, their achingly familiar voices hauntingly concurrent. "This is the only way to save the one you love most. Remember."

Cale Henituse began to scream in agony, his head feeling like it was splitting in two.

A twelve year old Ambrose Finley and a forty year old Cale Henituse watched him crumple to his knees, their faces expressionless as his screams filled the void.

A/N: please let me know if it's getting to be too choppy. i can fix that somehow, it'll just take a lil bit! i promise the storyline will smooth out again once i get through this part, though.