Chapter Five: Story Time

A/N: Thank you all so much for the views! I'm glad so many people enjoy my stories. My apologies for the late update, due to personal issues I haven't been writing. I'll get back to the normal schedule soon. Once again, Thanks! <3

Goathorn's words seemed to lunge at Dunepaw like an agitated adder. What did she mean, "Prairie beast?" More importantly, Dunepaw wondered what Redpaw thought. Goathorn's description seemed to match the monster they'd supposedly encountered in the fields. Surely, it's just a misunderstanding, Dunepaw thought. There's no way such an extravagant tale could be true, she continued.

Though a bit concerned, Dunepaw padded onwards to the elders den, remembering her tasks. As she grew closer to the secured area, Goathorn's voice raised louder. She could only listen, soaking another elder's, Ryefur's, tics, using moss dipped in mouse-bile. Dunepaw was not bothered by the horrid smell, instead focusing on Goathorn's words, as kits gathered around the old soul.

"Now kits, trust me, for my moons have taught me well." Goathorn began. "Never go far from camp until you're at least 6 moons old, and know the territory. Can anyone tell me why?"

"Oooh! I know, I know!" Spoke a small, high pitched voice. When Dunepaw turned her head, she couldn't believe her eyes. Could this kit really be Cresskit, who had been born 2 moons before Dunepaw's apprenticeship? By now, the young Tom had grown much larger. Dunepaw wondered how long it had actually been since Cresskit's birth.

Quickly, Cresskit spoke. "A monster lives in the prairies!" He yapped. Goathorn nodded, certifying his answer. Cresskit smiled as Goathorn began to speak to the other two kits, just as big as Cresskit; His siblings, Featherkit and Greenkit. Both she-cats beside Cresskit had grown as well, clearly taller than the last time Dunepaw had seen them.

"Now, gather round, and I'll tell you the story of the prairie beast." Goathorn started. The kits, circled intently around her, stared in awe as the elder continued. "Before we came here, there was once a colony of other cats, just like us. Their favorite place to hunt lay near the prairies, where rodents frequented."

"Then what happened?" Featherkit asked. A fearful look spread across her face. Kits must be scared easily, Dunepaw thought. This couldn't be more than a made up story, right?

Goathorn chuckled, amused by Featherkit. "Well, during these days, there was once a cat, with a heart tinged of darkness. Her name was..." Goathorn paused, unsure. The kits looked at her, clearly concerned.

"What was her name?" Greenkit asked, trying not to show any fear. Goathorn looked around for a second, as if her thoughts vaporized.

"Well, kiddo, the problem is...I forgot." Goathorn admitted. The kits around her frowned a bit, but encouraged her to continue the story. Meanwhile, Astralpaw and Redpaw were nearby, cleaning off the elders. Astralpaw laughed a bit at Goathorn's forgetfulness, doubting the reality of her stories. Dunepaw glanced back at the elder she was cleaning, Ryefur.

Ryefur's voiced groaned, old and raspy, like an ember, slowly flickering as it's blown out. "Hey, kid, get back to work! I'll be up in StarClan by the time you're done!" She yowled. Really, it wouldn't be a long time until she croaked, Dunepaw thought. Ryefur was the oldest (and arguably the most annoying) cat in CrystalClan. Obeying her orders, Dunepaw focused on her work, but nonetheless, she still tuned her ears, listening to Goathorn's story.

"I suppose we'll call this cat Littletrust, because as you can guess, she was far from trustworthy. Anyways, Littletrust was the best warrior of all the clans. She was strong, fast, smart, and a great hunter, as well as astonishingly beautiful. Every cat in her clan, RidgeClan, valued her beyond normal circumstances. However, Littletrust had a secret; long ago, she had ventured out into the great beyond, and had fallen in love with a rogue, named... what was it... I think it was... Geode?"

The kits simply nodded and urged Goathorn to go on.

"Littletrust and Geode loved to hang out in the prairies, even though it was the territory of Ancient CrystyalClan. Eventually, Littletrust became pregnant, with Geode as the father. Their love was one of a kind, truly wonderful. But, sometimes simple things can ruin a perfect picture. One fateful dawn, Littletrust and Geode were in the prairies when a patrol found them. All of the clans knew and admired Littletrust , so these cats were shocked to see her betrayal. So, they took Geode and Littletrust as prisoners, then took them to the gathering in order to discuss their fate. When the time came, Geode was sentenced to death, while Littletrust was exiled. Then, Geode was killed, with Littletrust forced to watch, as her mate faded away. Though she was exiled, Littletrust stayed in the prairies. Soon, she would have her kits, which is all that was left of her mate, and a love that once blossomed. Littletrust began to resent StarClan for the death of her mate, who likely was not accepted in the haven. One day, Littletrust snapped. She wanted to destroy every clan, for revenge, as well as to keep her kits safe and happy through life, without any clans to worry of. Littletrust contacted spirits from the dark forest. She revived Geode, though he was different. He was bloodthirsty, and no longer normal. Instead of opposing him, Littletrust joined him. With the power of dark forest cats on her side, she attacked and killed any cat who came near the prairie, then ate them. She began to change, mutating into an evil spirit. However, her kits, well, kit, was born. There had only been one in her litter. This cat was nothing like his parents. In fact, the child was a blessing from StarClan, sent to kill Littletrust and Geode, saving the clans. He was never given a name, yet was simply called StarClan's Child. He fought Littletrust and Geode, banishing them to the dark forest...but... ever since the tornado hit, cats report being attacked by an evil spirit. Many believe Littletrust still roams, looking for revenge."
Goathorn took a breath, ending. She didn't know she could talk that much.

Dunepaw was paralyzed, stunned. Could this be real? Is Redpaw in danger? She thought. She collected her thoughts; no matter what, it was concerning. Finally, she paused, sure of one thing:

If Redpaw is in danger, we'll fight the evil together. I'll save them no matter what.