V. Did you call me darling

" Did you call me darling? "

Agatha (the black-haired girl) knocked hard. "Sophie! It's me!" she shouted. Doors started opening at the other end of the hall. Agatha pounded harder. "Sophie!" she screamed. Black-robed girls started emerging from their rooms. Agatha jiggled Sophie's door handle and shoved against the frame, but it wouldn't budge.

Just as the Nevergirls turned, poised to discover the intruder in pink, Agatha took a running start, threw herself against the defaced door of Room 66, which swung open and slammed shut behind her. "YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I WENT THROUGH TO GET HE—" She stopped.

Sophie was crouched over a puddle of water on the floor, singing as she applied blush in her reflection.

"I'm a pretty princess, sweet as pea,
Waiting for my prince to marry me. . . ." she sang.

Four bunk mates and three rats watched from across the room, mouths open in shock. Hester looked up at Agatha. "She flooded our floor." she said. "To do her makeup," said Anadil. "Whoever heard of anything so evil?" Dot grimaced. "Song included," Celeste said in a low voice.

"Is my face even?" Sophie said, squinting into the puddle. "I can't go to class looking like a clown." Her eyes shifted. "Agatha, darling! About time you came to your senses. Your Uglification class starts in two minutes and you don't want to make a poor first impression."

Agatha stared at her.

"Of course," Sophie said, standing up. "We have to switch clothes first. Come on, off they go." she clapped her hands quickly. "You're not going to class, darling," Agatha said, turning red. "We're going to the School Master's tower right now before we're stuck here forever!" she said. "Don't be a boob," said Sophie, tugging at Agatha's dress.

"We can't just break into some tower in broad daylight. And if you're going home anyway, you should give me your clothes now so I don't miss any assignments." Sophie tugged harder. Agatha wrenched away. "Okay, that's it! Now listen to—" "You'll blend right in here," Sophie smiled, studying Agatha next to her roommates.

Agatha lost her fire.

"Because I'm... ugly?" she asked in pain. "Oh, for goodness' sake, Aggie, look at this place," Sophie said. "You like suffering and unhappiness and, uh,... burnt things. You'll be happy here." she said. "We agree," said a voice behind Agatha, and she turned in surprise. "You come live here," Hester said to her— "And she drowns in the lake," Dot scowled at Sophie, still wounded by her jibe at the Welcoming.

"We liked you the moment we saw you," Anadil cooed, rats licking Agatha's feet. "You belong here with us," Celeste chimed in, as she, Hester, Anadil, and Dot crowded around Agatha whose head swung nervously between this villainous foursome. Did they really want to her her friend? Was Sophie... right? Agatha shook her head.