11. Sister Imperator is finally coming to her senses

When I woke up, I could feel an immense pain in my head. It took me a while to figure out where I was and what had happened. I was lying in a bed, there were more beds in this room and there were people in white clothing walking around. I must be in the hospital wing. But why? I remembered being with Rain, we were walking through the basement. Rain, where was he? I tried to get up, but once I moved everything started to spin around me.

''Ah, I see that you've finally woken up.'' A familiar voice of a woman said. I looked to my right side, sister Imperator was sitting there. ''What happened?'' I asked her. ''You better tell me. Why did you attack Rain? Wasn't attacking Dewdrop enough for you?'' I was silent for a few seconds before I decided to answer. ''What? I didn't hurt my friends! I would never! How is Rain doing?'' Sister Imperator looked at one of the other beds in the room. ''He's fine, he's on the same intense pain killers Dewdrop is, and is thus unable to speak. But you must hate that. You wanted to kill him, didn't you?''

At that moment, Papa walked into the room. ''Oh Satan! Poor Roy!'' He said, while he sat down on one of the chairs next to my bed. Before I got the chance to speak with Papa, sister Imperator started talking to him.

''Don't you think that it's a coincidence that he was there when both Dewdrop and Rain got hurt?'' ''Don't you think that it's a coincidence that mister Robertson left? Here, I found this letter in The Clery's office.'' Papa handed her a piece of paper, which she read out loud:

''Dear sister Imperator,

I love you, I truly do. And that's why it is going to be so hard to say goodbye. I can't do that, but I have to. So I decided to let you know in a letter. I have loved many women in my lifetime, and 1 of them was you. You make all of my bad days good, and you've changed me to become a better person in ways you can't even imagine. However, I have a wife back in Hillburg. I left her after we had a fight, and that's when I started to live here. Before I knew it, I fell in love with you. But she recently wrote me a letter saying that she is very sick and she needs me to be around.

I would highly advice you to look out for that Roy guy. He is pretending to be a ghoul so he can hurt more ghouls.

I am truly sorry for breaking your heart.

Love,
Your Robertson''

Sister was silent. We all were. Until I decided to break the silence. ''Do you believe me now? He's got the book and left with it! He was saying some weird ancient spell while Rain and I were guarding the basement. He tried to steal the book and then he attacked us both!'' Sister shook her head. ''No, it can't be. You only wrote this letter to pretend that you are Robertson! What have you done to him? And Terzo, how do you even have the nerve to help a traitor, and open a letter that's addressed to me? Don't think that you can get away with this. Roy, we'll kick you out of the church once you're healed.''

The pain in my head only seemed to hurt more every second, while sister Imperator was blaming everyone but herself. It's like she knew somewhere, deep down, that Papa and I were right. But it was just easier for her to deny the truth.

Papa saw that I wasn't able to talk to sister Imperator now, so he decided to speak up for me. ''He was saying some ancient spell, you say? To me this sounds like he was trying to un-summon the ghouls, doesn't it, sister? Now luckily for us, you can only un-summon a ghoul when you're on the church's ground. But we can't summon or un-summon ghouls if what Roy says is true, and I believe it is. This means that all the ghouls in hell are stuck there, and all the ghouls on earth are stuck here. Having said that, I have to ask you a question, sister. How did mister Robertson get into the basement in the first place?''

Sister Imperator let out a sad sigh, which was surprising, I didn't know that she even had emotions. She had always been so cold-blooded to everyone she knew, except Papa Nihil, Cardinal Copia, and mister Robertson. ''I gave him permission to go there.'' She said. ''He said he just wanted to take a look at Liber Magicae Tenebris, because books are something he'd always been interested in. I- I don't know what I should believe.'' Her voice was soft and her eyes were watery. ''Now if you'll excuse me for a moment. I need to think.'' She got up, put her chair away, and walked towards the door.

''Wait...'' I said. Sister Imperator stood still and turned around slowly. ''I'll proof to you that I'm on your side. Once I get better,  I will steal the book back for you. For the church, and all of the ghouls. You can trust me.'' Sister looked at the ground while she thought about what she was going to reply to me. She seemed to be so disappointed in herself. ''There's no need to do that Roy. I just want you to know that -in case you are indeed innocent, I'm sorry for not trusting you.'' ''No,'' I said, ''I will bring the book back. I promise.''

Papa also stood up from his chair. ''You should rest now. Don't worry about sister Imperator. She will believe you once Dewdrop and Rain wake up and they tell her the truth. Remember, mio amico, the truth will always come out. There will always be someone in your life who is lying. That doesn't make them a bad person, as long as they are good when the truth comes out. The choice they make in the end is the only choice that matters.''