Money

Winter came early this year. It's still mid-November, but the temperature already dropped to 2 degree Celsius. Gloomy clouds filled the sky barricading the warm sunlight from reaching the ground. Citizens of Seoul in unison started to wear thicker jackets, scarves, and hand gloves as they went through their day. Warm soups, porridge, and jjigae restaurant filled from breakfast to dinner, as the people desperate for warmth. Dried persimmon became riped and available in every market throughout the country.

Moonbyul was boredly watching Solar cooking Doenjang-jjigae as per her request. She craved fermented soybean paste stew today. She was idled minding her own business. But her presence bothered the chef.

"Ya, why don't you help me instead of doing nothing?" Solar said to her without looking.

"Don't want to. It's your turn to cook today,"

"Fine, help me prepare the table then. And take out some side dishes from the refrigerator. Our moms was kind enough to give us some supplies,"

Moonbyul obeyed the instruction. Well, setting the table won't make her hair or hands smelly, if she's careful. She thought she can do as much.

It was true. After the four kids went back to their respective homes a few weeks ago, each of their parents gave side dishes that can last for a month. Everyone's mood increased after having spent some quality time with family. Now it's business as usual.

Moonbyul and Solar have reconciled. After Ha-neul incident and the long hug in the park, they became closer than before. Neither apologized nor pried into the topic anymore, they rather swipe things under the rug than open up. Skinship became more comfortable and natural between them. Most of the time, Solar initiated the first touch. She would hold Moonbyul's hand if either of them felt anxious, she hugged Moonbyul easily when they fool around during dance practice, and she used coldness as an excuse to cuddle with Moonbyul at night.

It wasn't necessarily a lie though. Their shitty apartment is scorching hot during summer and piercing cold during winter. These four side walls are doing a crappy job of protecting them from the weather. The four girls were forced to double their clothing even inside the apartment. They don't take daily showers because the cold bathroom water was too much to handle.

"Girls, dinner is ready," Solar called over to Hwasa and Wheein who lounge around their futons.

"Okay," "Thanks, unnie," They answered at once.

Everyone sat around the table and started eating.

"Unnie, there's no chicken inside?" Wheein asked as she mixed her jjigae with rice.

"Yeah, we finished those yesterday."

"Do we still have some money left to buy it tomorrow?" Hwasa asked.

They made a pact to collect grocery money every week and kept it in a jar above the refrigerator. Unfortunately, the jar was often half full. Therefore, they had to be smart about cooking ingredients to buy each time; exchanging expensive protein for nutritious vegetable alternatives like tofu, seitan, beans, or broccoli.

"We have some money left. But our seasonings are almost gone. I think we should buy gochujang, sesame oil, fish sauce, and green onion instead," Solar replied.

Wheein made a whiney noise, "Can we just buy a tree of money instead? I'm sick of being penniless,"

Moonbyul snickered, "Do you have a fairy connection? If so, we can buy them,"

"If I have a fairy connection, I wouldn't be stuck here with you, unnie,"

Hwasa cooed her best friend teasingly, "Baby don't say things like that. Aren't you glad at least we're stuck here with only one more team to beat before debut? We're pretty lucky to be stuck together with these two talented unnies,"