03

Rui was at school the next day, working on an animatronic for the musical theater club to use in their upcoming performance.

Nene was roaming the halls of their school, looking for Rui to eat lunch with him. She knew he was probably working hard in the schools workshop where he created most of his robots, including Robo-Nene.

"Rui?" Nene called, peaking into the relatively empty room.

Rui poked his head up, smiling at his friend.

She rolled her eyes playfully as she figured he'd be busy working.

She sat beside him with a tray of food from the cafeteria.

"What are you making now?" She asked, taking a bite out of her dango. She always preferred to eat her desserts first.

"Just a little stage prop for the musical theater club." He replied, eye's glued to his creation.

Nene hummed as she remembered Tsukasa would be leading in the musical in the next few weeks.

"Isn't Tsukasa apart of the play? I'm so excited to see him perform." Nene smiled to herself.

Rui chuckled and said "Yeah... he won't stop talking about it."

"You know he loves to be the center of attention."

The two of them giggled.

"Nene? Nene!!!" A high-pitched, feminine voice called out in the halls.

Nene sighed, already knowing it was Emu trespassing again on Kamiyama's campus to eat lunch with Rui and Nene.

Usually Tsukasa was in the workshop, but he had been too busy preparing for his role in the upcoming musical lately.

"Great..." Nene whispered to herself.

Rui noticed his friends annoyance with Emu calling for her and found it amusing.

"She's in here with me!" Rui called out.

Nene gasped and furrowed her eyebrows at Rui as he teasingly laughed at her.

"Why'd you tell her I was here...!?"

Emu ran in and her eyes sparkled when she saw Nene sitting beside their fellow band member.

"Nene!" She shouted excitedly, wrapping her arms around her, paper bag in hand that contained her lunch.

"Emu..." Nene whined, pushing Emu away as she blushed and looked away, feeling too shy to be so affectionate with her friend as much as she cared for her.

Emu laughed at Nene's shyness endearingly.

"Were you hiding from me, Nene?" Emu exclaimed, never taking that smile off her face.

"Actually... Rui was hiding from me." She giggled into her hand.

"Was not." Rui said as he continued to work.

Meanwhile, in the Empty Sekai, you laid unconscious on the ground as everyone looked down at you, waiting for you to wake up.

"I-is she dead?!" Ena exclaimed worriedly.

"I don't think so." Miku replied, poking at your cheek.

Kanade stared down at you in disbelief and amazement. You were even prettier in person. She couldn't handle her excitement, as much as it looked like she didn't have a care in the world.

You peeled your eyes open and groaned. Your entire body ached like crazy.

You rolled on to your back, fluttering your eyes as you felt dazed and confused and tried to make sense of the colorful blurs in your vision.

As your eyesight adjusted, four young girls about your age were looking down at you, wide eyed.

"Eek! She's awake!" Mizuki squealed as she stumbled back.

Kanade locked eyes with you and you returned the favor.

"Hey." She waved at you as you scrambled back, looking at your surroundings with panic surging within you.

"Where am I? What... is this place?" You looked around the Empty Sekai.

It was eerie and unnerving. Were you dreaming?

"Am I dreaming? I must be lucid dreaming." You sat up and looked at the four girls.

"Tell me, I must be lucid dreaming, right?" You asked before clenching your head from the oncoming headache that pounded at your skull.

Ena shifted uncomfortably on her feet as Kanade tried to explain your predicament.

"No. You're not dreaming, Y/n. We brought you here because we need your help." Kanade said.

Her voice was soft and melancholic.

"What? Who are you people? How do you know my name?"

She inched closer to you and you inched back.

"Stay away." You said.

"I'm Ena, and this is Mizuki, Kanade and Miku."  The short haired girl said.

"We've... kinda been watching you for awhile now. Through the Sekai's laptop." Mizuki said.

"Mizuki! She's gonna think we're creeps if you say it that way." Ena said softly to her bandmate.

"I want to go home. I can't help you with anything." You said.

"We can't let you go. You have to help us first. Can you please listen to us, Y/n?" Kanade asked pleadingly.

You sighed and said "Go ahead."

"Our friend... she cut off contact with all of us. The thing is... we're not all really close. We don't know where she lives, only where she goes to school. But it's a private school and none of us are enrolled. Our primary source of contact was through Nightcord." Kanade said.

"Mafuyu has a history of self isolation and bad mental health. This is the worst she's ever been. She's never outwardly cut all contact with us out of the blue." Ena said.

All the girls looked deeply distraught over this girl named Mafuyu.

"What makes you think I can do anything about that?" You asked, anxiously tapping your foot on the ground.

Mizuki and Ena both looked at Kanade since you were primarily her choice for saving Mafuyu.

"I don't know how to explain it.... I just had a feeling that you were the one." Kanade said.

"Well... that sucks. I'm sorry about your friend. But I can't help you. Now take me back home."

"No." All girls said in unison.

You furrowed your eyebrows together. "Take me home!" You demanded, raising your voice.

Mizuki rubbed her temple. "Why did we think this was a good idea?" She said to herself.

"You can go home after you try to help us. All we require is for you to get enrolled at Miymasuzaka Girls Academy and try to get close with Mafuyu." Kanade said.

You narrowed your eyes at the blue haired girl and said "What's in it for me?"