Chapter 12: Don't Make Me Your Enemy

Jayden slowed her pace and quieted her steps as she got closer to Rick and the others. She shouldered her rifle and pulled out her long knives. She crept slowly as neared the familiar voices. In the darkness, she accidentally kicks something metallic. The sound echoed through the empty corridor.

"Did you hear that?" Glenn whispered.

"Yeah, I'll check it." Daryl's scruffy voice and loud boots began to walk toward Jayden.

Jayden looked around quickly desperate for a place to hide. Piping on the ceiling caught her attention as she jumped up and pulled herself over the pipes. Luckily the corridor was very dark and Daryl walked right past her finding nothing. Once he made his way back to the group Jayden quietly descended from the ceiling. As she began her pursuit once more and stepped on the metallic object she had kicked before.

Jayden picked up what appeared to be big a ring of keys. Jayden smirked, she knew exactly what she needed to do now. She needed a safe place to keep supplies while she went out and looked for Gibbs. This prison was big enough for her to slip away unnoticed and live separately from the group. Jayden pocketed the keys and returned to the outside courtyard.

—--------------------------------------------------------------------

Glenn came out through the door and unlocked the gate ushering the group inside. The prison was dark and cold but well-preserved. Jayden had secured the extra guard keys she had found on her waist. They were bulky and hard to hide. Thankfully she wouldn't have to hide them for long.

She entered the cell block and saw T-Dog dragging a corpse out the door. Tony came bolting in from the door and scanned every cell. His four legs zoomed back and forth as he took in the new smells around him. Then as usual he got distracted by Carl.

"What do you think?" Rick asked as he walked down the steps.

"Home sweet home," Glenn replied.

"For the time being," Rick assured.

"It's secure?" Lori asked.

"This cell block is." Ricked nodded his head looking proud.

"What about the rest of the prison?" Hershel walked in carrying his bags.

Jayden tuned into this conversation. Having this information will help her plan her departure. She needed to know a safe distant part was available for her to stay in. She hopes to slip out and stay out of view from the group so they think she actually left. This would mean she would have to move her jeep as well. Jayden's thoughts snapped back to the conversation at hand.

"In the morning, we'll find the cafeteria and infirmary." Rick directed at Herschel.

Beth looked at Jayden with disgust and worry on her face.

"We sleep in the cells?" She questioned.

Rick nodded his head and discussed how he and Daryl had found two sets of keys for the cells and blocks.

"I ain't sleepin in no cage." Daryl scoffed. "I'll take the perch." He grabbed a mattress out of a cell block and pulled it out onto the perch next to the steps.

Jayden was now disinterested in the conversations going on around her. She didn't want to see Maggie and Glenn cuddling or flirting. She didn't want a lecture from Hershel about what had happened outside. She hated Lori and didn't want to talk to Carol either. So instead she threw her stuff inside a cell and walked back out the door Tony hot on her steps. She had grabbed a tennis ball from her bag and decided to play some fetch with him.