Chapter 16: Before Chaos

Jayden and Rick sat in the common room ironing out details of her temporary absence. He would come check on her every few days until she was ready to return, bringing her enough food and water. Jayden stood up to go check on Herschel. She had heard that Lori had to revive him, she couldn't stand Lori but she also could not ignore her bravery at that time. She was grateful to her for saving him.

Jayden walked into Herschel's cell where Beth and Maggie sat by his bedside. He was awake but not fully tuned into reality. He looked at Jayden and smiled. She went to his side and kissed him softly on the cheek. She pulled back his blanket and inspected his leg. Nodding in approval she put a mental note to commend Carol on cleaning and dressing his leg.

"Hey, papa Hersc..." Jayden kneeled by his head smiling softly at the old man. "Don't be mad. I got bit again, You need these antibiotics more than me. I'll keep it clean but you won't be seeing much of me for a while. You know my paranoid ass can't be close to y'all during this fever. I'll be fine I promise and Rick will be checking in on me." Jayden could see his nervousness show through his eyes, but he was too weak and tired to argue with her. He knew he would get nowhere anyway.

"Promise me you'll be safe." He whispered.

Jayden looked at him, his old eyes were full of love. The way he looked at her reminded her of Gibbs. She needed to find him soon... If he's still alive.

"I will, I promise." She pushed one of his long hairs from his face and stood up leaving the cell.

She waited outside of his cell block waiting for Maggie and Beth to make their way out. They stopped in front of her. She motioned her head towards the common room and began making her way there.

"Look, I'm not telling anyone where I am staying. It won't be safe for anyone besides Rick, Daryl, and me to be wandering the prison. Especially with other survivors here. Right now the dead aren't our only problem so keep that in mind. I'm leaving Tony with you." She nodded her head towards Beth. Tony was always around her anyway so it wouldn't be much of a change.

Jayden stood up and left the girls at their table, heading for the stairs she made her way up to her cell to pack. Once she had reached her cell door she noticed Daryl sitting on a chair inside.

"You here to snap at me again?" She leaned up against the door with her arms crossed in front of her.

Daryl looked right into her eyes and shook his head. He brought his attention to the knife in his hand that he was currently sharpening. Jayden furrowed her eyebrows and shook her head walking over to her bunk and pulling out her duffel from under the bed. She started to put clothing in the bag and went over to the corner to grab some of her weapons. She couldn't find one of her knives and began searching all over the room for it. She felt something hit her thigh and turned to see Daryl holding out her knife for her to take. Just then Jayden realized the knife he had been sharpening was hers.

"So you're gonna tell me what's going on or..." Jayden trailed off as she plopped down on the bunk bed. Daryl took a deep breath.

"Carol said I should apologize for what I said the other day." He looked down at his hands slightly picking at the cuticles that lined his fingers. Jayden laughed, snatching his attention away from his hands. He looked up to see her full smile as she threw her head back.

"Carol said huh. So this isn't your apology, it's hers right?" She smiled and shook her head at him. "Daryl I don't need you to apologize for snapping at me. That shit bounces off of me. Hell, I had worse from the corpse."

A little smile formed on his lips as she spoke. He of course felt bad for snapping at her but hearing her talk about her past in an upbeat manner made him feel ... safe.