Moonlight and Dragons

A lively breeze blows betwixt the trees,

And as it blows it whistles,

A fine tune that joins the rustling leaves.

Bushy-tailed squirrels 'midst the branches,

Chattering and skittering

Hiding their nutty lunches.

Singing a solo, sweet and mellow,

The white broad-chested robin

Is suddenly joined by another fellow.

In this forest world lies peace and mirth,

But a heavy deep rumble

Fills the air with dread and death.

Skin the colour of burnt clay

A mighty beast winged and scaled

Appears in the southern sky

It's a dragon foul and fair!

With tornados—

"Stop, stop, stop. Please. I can't bear this any longer." The young woman cried out in protest, trying to rub the sleep from her eyes. I sighed inwardly. I had been getting to the good part.

"First of all, that was completely awful. The rhymes are mediocre at best. Clay and sky don't go together. And more importantly, dragons don't exist."

"Yes, they do." I cut in.

"No, they do not." She insisted. " Secondly, your singing is dreadful. The absolute worst I have ever heard. And lastly, you gave me the impression that you would bravely fend off the Beast and guide us to the nearest civilization when I freed you. So, pray tell, why have we been stuck taking shelter on top of a tree for the last two hours?!"

I shrugged and mumbled, "It's not my fault my sword got stolen."

"Sounds to me like the excuses of a bold-faced liar." She huffed quite vulgarly.

I chuckled silently. It was hilarious how quickly her polite, well-mannered persona fell through once she became sleepy and irritable.

"Now that I think of it," the woman continued angrily, " I'm sure all those things you said about being from an island of clouds and waterfalls, battling the King of Styghbeasts, travelling to the Land of the Setting Sun and whatnot, were total rubbish too!"

"That last part was where I lost the aforementioned sword. And my sister."

"Yes, and your sister. The same one you are currently going to the Blue-Faced Desert to look for?"

"Exactly."

"Complete hogwash."

Thankfully, the dim light hid the massive smile on my face. "Please, go on. Tell me why."

She sighed as if frustrated that she had to explain the obvious. "The Blue-Faced Desert has been completely isolated from the rest of the continent for centuries. The pathway that Emperor Celras made through the Kazjhir Wall has long since been overrun by Styghbeasts. You would be a lunatic to think you could do what eras of Imperial Soldiers could not. And it's impossible for your sister to be there!"

That last part was a tad bit too loud and she quickly covered her mouth in fear.

"Don't worry, Kongque have poor hearing and I don't smell any other Beasts nearby. We are good."

She averted her eyes, embarrassed. "Sorry, that was uncalled for."

I laugh, "Maybe a little. But you are right. It might be a bit far-fetched as I am now to try to break through the Wall. That's why I came to this nation. To get stronger."

She nods, "That at least, is a bit easier to swallow. If there is one thing we are known for, it is strength."

After this, the conversation (or more accurately, almost drunken argument) finally died down. The wind was soft and breezy. The sweet fruits of the tree we sheltered in, filled the night with a calming fruity scent. Even she, as guarded as she were at first, soon quietly succumbed to the call of sleep. Before she descended deep into slumber, however, I took the chance to finally ask for her name.

Groggily, she answered, "My name is...Thafna."