Chapter Five: Vendetta

The room was tense, with a total of 48 players standing around a stone table in the Labyrinth Dungeon. The Assault Team, gathered and led by Members of the Knight of Blood Oath, the largest guild in Aincrad, had assumed control after Nanu resigned as the organizer after floor 35. Not that there was a power struggle. Nanu gave the position to Heathcliff, the head of KoB, for his skill and strength on the battlefield. So now, Nanu was a simple grunt on the team. At this time, the Assault Team was preparing to raid the 60th Floor Boss. Nanu had already given the map to the Boss Room to the current second in command of KoB, an archer by the name of Yumi. But Nanu knows her simply as Nina.

Once the prep meeting was dealt with, the group is dismissed, and would be notified ahead of time of when the raid was ready to take place. Once everyone went their separate ways, Nanu immediately teleported to relax in a nearby field. And while partaking in said relaxation, he's spotted by Nina returning on foot. With a sigh, she walks over to him, and stands over his flicking sunlight, making him open his eyes. "What are you doing?" She asked with a scowl.

"Nunya." Nanu replied.

"What?"

"Nunya damn business." Nanu chuckles.

"Dude. There's a boss raid in a couple of days. Go level grind." Nina says.

"What are you, my mom? I've already reached the level cap for the Floor, so there's no point in that anymore." Nanu yawned. "And besides that, I'm not participating in this raid."

"What?!" Nina shouts.

"Yeah. Honestly, I'm kinda over it at this point."

"Over it...?! You realize this is life and death, right?! And this is going to be one of the toughest battles yet!"

"I'm sure KoB has plenty of competent players in its ranks. Hell, there's that other really good solo player as well. Ask her to carry you." Nanu sighs, still not getting up from his back. He was of course talking about his partner way back on Floor 1, Kiria.

"That's not the point! The faster we can clear this damn game, the faster everyone here can get back to the real world! And unlike a bum like you, SOME people have important businesses that needs dealing with in the real world!" Nina says.

This seemed to irritate Nanu, as he stands up and grabs Nina's collar. "Just shut your damn mouth already! If you're adamant about getting out, then YOU clear the game!" He snaps.

Nina retaliates by grabbing Nanu's collar back. "It's suicide to even TRY to attempt Floor Bosses alone and you know that!" She grabs his arm and makes him let go, releasing his collar as well. "God...! You're always the same, no matter if it's the real world or a virtual one. You know what you are? Lazy! Unlike you, I have to work my ass off to do everything in my life, whereas you get to roll in grass all day because your mother was too nice to be assertive with you! Maybe if you took things a little more seriously, that shielder you were with would still be alive!!"

"SHUT UP!!" Nanu shouts gripping his shield. "Just...leave me alone...!!" With that, still seething with rage, he walks off into the fields.

———

It's been a couple hours now. Nanu was still pissed off about what Nina had said to him. But deep down, he knew she was right. As he sat on a bench in the town, he stared down the shield he was given. "I'm sorry..." He says to the shield, as if it were Saori.

With a sigh, he soon hears footsteps approaching him. "Hey." Nina voice spoke up.

"What now?" He groans.