Barry x Reader || Reasons

———

You had merely come to town to do some shopping, but when you turned the corner onto a big street to get to the shop you were looking for, someone crashed right into you. You squeeze your eyes shut and brace for the fall as you both toppled over and tumbled to the ground with a hard THUD.

The person who basically ran you right over exclaims, "What was that about?!"

When you open your eyes, an energetic blond boy with a green scarf is on top of you. You blink, and then your cheeks redden with humiliation.

After quickly getting up, the frowning boy recognizes you. "Oh, (Y/N)! Didn't jump out at people like that!" Barry exclaims.

"I didn't jump out!" You fold your arms and glare at your rival.

"You bumped into me, so I'm fining you a million!" He shouts.

Was he serious? You couldn't tell, but you knew Barry well enough to enjoy arguing like children. "I'm not paying." You grin, challenging him to debate further.

"What was that about?" Barry looks a little dissatisfied at the response, "You can't refuse me like that! It's not far, (Y/N)!"

"Um... I can't?" You scoff, unsure.

"You're the one who bumped into me, so of course, you have to pay a fine... Right?" Barry puts his hands on his hips and pouts.

"How would I know?" You shrug, not following Barry's impatient logic.

He scratched the back of his head and said, "You know, I get the feeling that maybe I was the one who bumped into you. Hmmmm..."

After a second of awkward silence, Barry continues with a smile, "I guess it can't be helped! No fine for you this time! I mean, that's how it always ends up, anyways."

You burst out laughing genuinely, "Too true,"

"I'm disappointed," Barry admits, "I thought I finally had a chance to get you to pay me a fine. I'll never reach my goal at this rate."

"Wait!" You exclaim, "Are you saying there's actually a real purpose to your absurd fines?"

"Don't sound so surprised!" He chuckles at your loud response, "My goal is to use the fines I collect to build my very own Battle Tower! It's an awesome place where you can have lots and lots of fantastic Pokémon battles. My daddy..." He pauses.

You tilt your head and ask, "Why did you stop?"

He stops, then frowns and corrects himself, "I mean, my DAD faces off against challengers who successfully climb the Battle Tower."

"That's so cool, you want to compete with your father then?" You enthusiastically smile.

"Well, I've never gotten that far in my attempts to battle him myself." Barry sighs, but rapidly regains his trademark confidence, "But someday, I'll make my dad take on the Battle Tower that I will build!"

"And you'll definitely beat him!" You nod and assure him.

"Yeah, it's one of my dreams!" Barry announces rather loudly, but you don't mind in the least.

"You dream big!" You say, astonished.

"Right?" He laughs, "You gotta dream big if you wanna have fun! It's good to have dreams, but when you have too many, you might not be able to make any of them come true."

"I can understand that," You admit.

"So I've told you my dreams, so you tell me yours!" Barry jumps up and down in pure excitement.

"Well-" He cuts me off.

"If you don't tell, I'm fining you!" He exclaims, and you both burst out laughing.

Never mind the shopping you wanted to do earlier, talking with Barry could make anything else wait.

---

Author's Note:

Hey guys! This one was requested by Mistyfan3 and I based part of it off of a Masters EX conversation again, sorry.

Here's the question: Who is your favorite rival? Mine are most likely Barry (I <3 him) and Rei but it depends if you count Marnie and Gladion as rivals too — since I adore those two.

Thanks for reading, and make sure to vote if you liked it!

See you later!

———

Word count: 678 words