23

Once she reached her room, she got ready for bed but never really reached her actual bed. Aera couldn't help but wonder if Elias would still come to sleep in her room, and she wanted to make sure he came back at all. He spent a long while in the garden before ultimately blowing out each of the candles until he was left in nothing but the moonlight. he took the tray of sweets back to the kitchen and hoped he had waited long enough to return to their adjoined rooms so that she would be asleep and they would not need to proceed further with the conversation. Before moving to her room, he allowed himself some peaceful moments in his own room. He made sure to make a bit of noise just to press and see if Aera was still awake.

     The moment she heard him return, she sat up straighter at her vanity table, brushing her hair for the hundredth time at that point. She waited a moment longer and then moved to the door, knocking on it before she opened it. "Elias?" She spoke softly, shame lacing her voice. "I... I am terribly sorry about earlier."

     So she was awake, great. By the time she had opened the door, he had already bared himself with the exception of his pants which remained. He, too, had taken to brushing his hair, though just running his fingers through it. What he wasn't expecting was an apology, from what he had seen, she was just as proud as he was and just as unlikely to apologize for grievances. It was a welcome surprise.

     Aera kept her gaze on the floor, she simply couldn't face him. She tightened the knot around her waist, having put her robe on top of her nightgown. "You went out of your way to make a surprise for me and I ruined it. And I am truly so very sorry about that. If you could, please, try and forget the nonsense I spewed at the end, I would appreciate it." It was a lot to ask, but she didn't think he'd even really remember anyway. "Will you still come and sleep in my room?"

     He nodded at her request; he was going to sleep in there regardless. It was less about her and more about their image. It was easier to fend off questions about an heir if it appeared you were at least actively sleeping in the same bed... even if one was actually on the floor. "Yes, give me just a few moments to write a letter. Then I will come to bed," he said while moving to his desk to write a letter to Lord Villot.

     "Alright..." She looked up at him for a split moment before she walked back into her bedroom, leaving the door slightly ajar. After she took off her robe, she made her way to her bed. The thought of him sleeping on the floor was ridiculous, but what other option did they have? It wasn't as if they could share a bed. Well, they probably could, but wouldn't it be strange if she offered it to him? Perhaps she owed it to him after. "Would you maybe want to sleep in the bed?" She asked him from where she sat on the edge of the bed now, "It is big enough for the two of us and then some." She explained, feeling like an idiot the moment she said it.

     With a healthy amount of spite, he stated, "I wouldn't want to burden you." He picked up his quill to write.

     Dearest Tom,

     I know that we had agreed upon a regular procurement of a license for your marriage to Genevieve. However, it appears that things have changed. I will visit the Bishop early tomorrow morning for the procurement of a special license. God be willing, you will still have at least a week to prepare.

     Forever yours, Eli

     He waxed his seal on the fold of the letter. He then stood from his desk and walked across his room to the hallway door. He flagged a servant down, "please have this delivered to Viscount Villot within the hour." The servant, who looked as if they were headed to bed, begrudgingly took the letter and departed. Elias then moved to Aera's bedroom and sat on one of the armchairs. Perhaps he could turn it into some form of bed.