Macau Tay Side Story: Chapter 4 - Part 2

When I woke the morning after the canceled appointment, I was alone in bed. Immediately my heart rate picked up, worrying that Tay had gone off on his own again. Yesterday I'd almost gone crazy. I shoved out of bed and rushed down the staircase to the living area but slowed when I spotted Tay sitting in a lounge chair on the roof terrace. I headed for the glass door and slid it open. Despite the early morning, the humid heat settled like grease on my skin. Tay turned his head, looking my way. His eyes were puffy from crying yesterday. "Hey," he murmured. "Hey." I went over to him and Tay made room on the chair for me, so I could squeeze in and fold him into my arms. Tay sank into me at once, which wasn't like him. "How are you feeling?" "Good," he said then amended. "Better than yesterday anyway. I thought about Vegas's offer all night and about what it would mean for us... and I think it's the best possible solution for everyone." I stroked his bare arm. "Pete and Vegas will take great care of it, and we'll get to watch it grow up." Tay's brows furrowed. "Yeah." He searched my eyes. "If you're absolutely sure, we should tell Pete and Vegas so they can prepare for the new situation," I said. "Are you sure?" "Like you said it's the best solution for everyone," I said. I wasn't sure how things would change once the baby was there and I had to watch Vegas be its dad. I couldn't really imagine myself as a father either, though. I liked the general idea of being a dad. The fun things, but just from watching Vegas and Pete, I knew there were plenty of hard moments as well. "Okay, then I'll call Pete." "I have a meeting with Vegas today anyway. I'll have a talk with him then as well." Tay stayed in my arms for a few more heartbeats before he pulled away and stood to grab his phone from the kitchen counter. I headed over to the railing and let my gaze wander over Bangkok. We'd said yes to the baby, but at the same time no. I was relieved but at the same time worried.

***

Vegas and I met in his office in the Sphere to discuss a few alarming developments. I took off my helmet as I strolled through the bar area toward the hidden backrooms. Vegas sat behind his desk chair, his open laptop in front of him. He closed it the moment I entered. "Any new developments?" I asked. Vegas narrowed his eyes. "Business can wait." I sighed and plopped down in one of the comfortable leather chairs. "Tay told Pete this morning that you two decided to give us the baby." Give them the baby. It sounded like handing over car keys. I nodded. "It's the best possible solution for everyone." Vegas sat back in his chair, watching me with his annoying scrutiny. "All right. You realize that while we take the baby off your hands, Pete and I can't spare you the pregnancy. That's for you and Tay to handle, and it comes with responsibility." Was he trying to piss me off on purpose? "We know that, don't worry." "No alcohol, no sushi, less caffeine..." "I get it, Vegas. And trust me, Tay gets it too." Vegas shrugged. "You don't want your lives to change but they will, at least in the next eight months. After that, you can have your old life back and Pete and I will take over." "Can we talk about business now? The more you talk the more I feel like skinning someone, and I have a feeling a few fuckers from Tartarus might just be the balm for my bloodthirst." Vegas sighed but he nodded. "Pete invited Tay and you over for dinner tonight. Your husband agreed, so be there at six." I stifled a groan.

***

When I returned home in the late afternoon, Tay was already downstairs, perching on a barstool at the kitchen counter. He drank coffee and was reading a yoga magazine. In his tight black jean shorts he looked like the Tay I knew. Tough and hot as hell. He slanted me a look. His makeup covered up the last traces of yesterday's tears. My eyes darted down to his flat belly. It seemed unreal that he was really pregnant, that something as monumental as a baby in his belly wasn't yet visible for the eye. He raised his cup. "Decaf, in case you're wondering." "Did Vegas give you a lecture of all the things you're prohibited from consuming and doing?" I asked wryly as I strolled over to him and kissed his full lips. He grimaced. "No. But Pete bridged the subject in a subtle but unmistakable way. As if I'd just keep drinking alcohol and espressos. I'll make sure it's safe until it's in their hands." He shook his head. "Do you want to cancel the dinner with them?" Tay considered that. "No, I'm really grateful for what they're doing." "Me too," I said. "How was yoga today?" "Great. I could blank out everything for a little while. Luckily I can keep working out during the pregnancy. I just need to tone it down slightly." I squeezed his hip. "See. This pregnancy will be over before you know it and then we can party the night away again." "Yeah," Tay said with a sigh. His voice mirrored a deep longing I felt as well. Problem was, I wasn't exactly sure what I was longing for.

***

Liliana and Nop had agreed to watch Paris and Venice while we had dinner. Vegas and Pete obviously didn't want their kids to overhear anything about the new addition to their family, which was probably for the best. We were halfway through dinner, when Pete spoke up, "Oh, I made an appointment with my OB/GYN next week for a checkup. You'll be in your seventh week then so she should be able to see the heart beating." Tay didn't look surprised, so they must have discussed the matter before. I was stunned. "You'll have an ultrasound?" "I suppose so?" Tay said, turning to Pete who nodded. "That's good," I said. "You'll accompany Tay?" "Yes," Pete said hesitantly. "If that's okay for you?" "Of course." It wasn't that I was keen on going to the appointment but the knowledge that any step of the kid's development wasn't really my business felt strange. "We need to discuss the matter of hiding the pregnancy," Vegas said unceremoniously. "The child doesn't need to grow up surrounded by nasty rumors. We need to make the public believe it's Pete's and mine." "You are right," Tay said. "When did you show?" Pete pursed his lips. "At twenty weeks it was difficult to hide with Venice. But that's because it was my second pregnancy. You can use coats and sweaters can cover up a lot. But your workout clothes won't be able to hide a bump." Tay nodded. "That's what I thought." Pete exchanged a look with Vegas. "How about we take it as we go? You keep on giving yoga and Pilates lessons for as long as loose shirts hide the bump, and wear loose clothes as much as possible. I'll start doing the same. I can't really wear a tight clothes to our Christmas party when you are in your fifth or sixth month then, and would show." "I'd have never thought pregnancy means so much logistics," I joked. "It usually doesn't," Vegas muttered. "Well, Pete has experience hiding a pregnancy so I have faith we can keep it a secret," I said, not able to hold back the jibe. Vegas's eyes flashed, remembering the difficult beginning of Pete's pregnancy with Paris. Pete sent Vegas a warning look while Tay did the same with me. "We'll get through this together as a family," Pete said firmly. "When should we tell Lily and Nop?" Tay asked to change the topic. Clever boy. "That's really up to you. You could wait until you both are past the first twelve weeks..." "Yeah. I hope she won't be disappointed we didn't confide in her before," Tay said. "She'll understand," Pete assured him. "Will we tell anyone else?" Vegas shook his head. "I don't see why. Every person we involve is a risk." A risk to the biggest secret of all of our lives. 

A/N: Hi guys. Hope you are enjoying this story. I have published a new story of Vegas Pete. The title is Captured by the Mafia. Please read the story and let me know your thoughts about the new story. If you all liked it, I'll continue that story once I am done with this FF.