Chapter #1

A young-ish girl, who looked around 12, was running on a path that cut through the forest. The forest path led right into the village. The girl was wearing her cloak with her hood over her head.  The cape part of her cloak was flying through the wind. She slowed her pace to a  walk once she reached the village. Her pace slowed down as she walked through the lively town. She let out a sigh, walking through the market that was happening. A smile dawned on her face as she looked at all the stalls. Some sold Fruits and Vegetables, others sold things like Bread and Fish, and some sold Cheese and Milk, and Pastries and Baked goods could also be found at certain stalls if you knew where to look, and you could even find Toys and Jewelletr. It was all there. She wanted to buy all of it! Although she couldn't. She was orphaned 12 years ago, along with her sister, and had no money to spend.

The girl approached a stall selling bread, fresh fruit and vegetables. After looking around to be sure nobody was watching, she snatched a loaf of bread and three apples. She snapped around to make sure yet again that nobody was watching as she slipped the four items into her bag and set off, trying not to look suspicious. Once the girl was out, she had broken into a run, taking off her hood. She slowed her pace again as she walked over to a much older girl- the young woman was standing with her arms crossed in the doorway of a small cottage-looking two-storey home.

"I'm back, Rina!" The girl exclaimed, standing in front of the older girl.

"Did you get what I asked?"

"Yep! Along with an extra apple."

"Good," Rina said, moving aside so her little sister could enter the house.
The girl removed her cloak and flopped onto the couch with a sigh, throwing her bag and cloak down on the couch next to her.

"Rina, I can't take this anymore."

"Take what?"

"Stealing. I just feel so guilty, taking without paying."

"Mei, we'll have enough money soon. John's held up at the local pier, and John will come down and visit soon, just in time for Christmas. We'll have enough for a house in the village, better clothes for all of us, and enough money to buy instead of steal. I promise."

Mei sighed, walking up the stairs to her room. She sat at her desk, laying out parchment and getting out her ink pot and quill. Without hesitation, she started writing.

"Dear John,

I hope the weather finds you well. It's me, Meilinn Oakwood, your sister. I haven't met you, but I miss you. Rina says you've been overwhelmed with work. Surely they can find somebody else to cover your shifts so you can get down here, can't they? Rina's told me all about you, you know. She says you look just like me, that you're very kind, and that you'll always put others first in any kind of situation. Some desirable traits, indeed. All I want for Christmas is to meet you for the first time since you've started work at the docks. I just want you to get down here so I can hug you, and we can laugh and play like we would be able to, had our parents not died when I was born.

Regards,
Meilinn."

Meilinn folded up the letter, putting it into an envelope and sealing it shut. She sighed, grabbed the letter, walked downstairs, threw her cloak on and walked down to the post office. She stood in that line for at least 10 minutes and handed the letter to the lady behind the counter. She didn't say a thing as she left the post office, grabbing one of the apples from her satchel and eating it on the walk home. Once home, she threw the core in the bin as she walked back into her room. Meilinn grabbed her quill and inkpot, opened her sketchbook and lay on her bed on her stomach, drawing away.

Mei sketched various flowers, including Roses, Daisies and Dahlias, Tulips and Sunflowers. She sketched until she finally looked out the window, closed her book and put her ink pot and quill away, walking outside and over to the park, the best place to catch the sunset. She smiled, thinking about what it would be like to catch the sunset with her big brother. Once it was dark, she walked home and readied herself for bed, looking at the roof. In every single letter she got, John always told her "I'll visit soon," but Mei had been writing to John for 2 years now. She just wanted him to come home.

"Good things will come to those who wait, Mei," She told herself, turning onto her side and closing her eyes.