Chapter Sixteen

A day had passed since then, and Kakashi had decided to do what was right; solve things. So, upon waking up that morning, he'd decided to head to his soulmate's place.

The trip to Guy's house wasn't a long one, as it was just in one of the smaller residential areas in the village, so it wasn't long before he was standing at his soulmate's door, nervously knocking his fist against the wood.

A few seconds later, Guy answered, silently allowing him inside. Kakashi nodded and stepped through the doorway before shutting the door behind him. When he turned to look at the older man, he wasn't surprised to see the other Jonin's face, which was relatively serious. After their discussion the week before, it was understandable that Guy would be angry with him.

"You're mad at me?" He questioned, admiring Guy's appearance. It was ridiculously early and still dark outside, so it made sense that the ravenette wasn't dressed in his usual attire, only dressed in a baggy sweatshirt and some shorts that put his toned thighs on display... And other things on display. If the situation weren't so tense, Kakashi might've stopped and stared for longer than he should've. Thankfully, he managed to keep eye contact with his soulmate.

"I'm not mad at you, my dear rival! Just disappointed."

"Is it about what I said the other day?" Kakashi questioned, walking out of the doorway and into the living room, trying to look casual as he sat down on one of Guy's couches. The ravenette's living room was nice, but there were a lot of colors that didn't match; green couches, orange and red rugs over the brown carpet, a blue painting on the wall... Regardless of the fact that all of the colors clashed (which Guy couldn't really be faulted for, as he hadn't been able to see color through the duration of his life until a couple of weeks ago), it still had a relaxing, homey vibe that Kakashi had always liked.

For once, it was silent as Guy sat next to him on the couch, the gap between the two men awkwardly large. Kakashi frowned upon noticing it... They'd kissed and slept in the same bed not too long ago.

"You know if you're not interested in me," Guy started, which caught Kakashi's attention. Not interested? How had Kakashi's previous words gone that far over his head? It was both confusing and worrying, even more so when he saw Guy nervously pull at the collar of his sweatshirt. "You don't have to lie, right?"

"What," His question came out more like a statement, as he was completely bewildered and forgot how to talk properly for a few seconds. It took a moment for Kakashi to actually process what Guy had just asked him, and he knew that his face must've looked completely blank as he pieced it together. "You think I said all that shit just to hide some uninterest in you? I was serious, Guy! You deserve better than me! You've got to be kidding me right now."

"Oh," Guy blinked, seemingly shocked by Kakashi's answer.

"You really thought I was lying?"

"I normally wouldn't expect you to lie to me, but it's just-" The ravenette groaned and moved a little closer, lessening the gap between them as he grabbed one of Kakashi's hands. Instead of pulling away, Kakashi sighed and interlaced their fingers, loving how warm the older man's skin was against his, which was considerably colder. "What you said about yourself was... Horrible. I didn't want to believe it."

"Well, it's true."

"No, it's not! It's not true," Kakashi bit his lip to keep himself from objecting, unsure of how he would handle this. Let his fears continue to consume him and walk away, or let himself be happy for once and give in to what he and Guy both wanted? "You know how hurtful it was to hear you talk about someone I love like that? You... Saying all of those things about me being out of your league and how you don't deserve to be loved? How you're scared of everything bad that could happen?"

"Again, it's true."

There was a long, drawn-out silence in which Guy used the hand that wasn't holding Kakashi's to reach forward, pulling Kakashi's mask down and off of his face in a tender manner before allowing that hand to caress the younger man's cheek.

"How long have you felt like this?"

"You'd be mad if I told you."

"I'm not mad."

"Then... Disappointed," Kakashi corrected himself, remembering Guy's earlier words. "I hate making you worry."

"I've always worried for you, rival."

That much was true. Always kind to him through tragedy after tragedy, Guy had tried to reach out a million times, whether it be through his weird challenges, inviting Kakashi out to dinner, or just trying to let the younger man know that he was always there to talk- even the few years that he'd followed Kakashi through most nights just to make sure that he never did anything dangerous or rash.

"Don't call me that right now," Kakashi laughed, leaning into Guy's touch and pressing a gentle kiss against the palm of the older man's hand.

"Kakashi," Guy didn't even hesitate, moving to wrap both arms around Kakashi's body and resting his head on the shorter man's shoulder. "My love... My soulmate," Kakashi melted, completely and utterly gone. How could he even try to resist it at this point? "You don't just deserve to be loved. You deserve everything, and you're not out of my league at all!"

"Guy..." Kakashi trailed off, shaky as he turned to fully face Guy, throwing his arms around the older man and pulling him in, face burning bright red as the affection was instantly reciprocated. His heart was beating fast, but it was a good feeling, and part of him scolded himself for not allowing this years ago. "You don't know what you're getting yourself into with me."

"Then let me find out what I'm getting into. I've been in love with you for years! I always hoped you were my soulmate, but I thought it was a ridiculous and unrealistic thought until now... But knowing that it's actually true, I can't let go of you."

"You really mean that?"

"Every word," Guy went to pull away, but honestly? Kakashi never wanted to let him go.

"No," Kakashi shook his head before resting it against his soulmate's shoulder, tightening his arms around the older man's body. "Don't move. Stay here with me for a bit?"

Of course, Guy only smiled, kissing the top of his hair.

"I can do that."