◆Chapter 68◇

Zin reached into the dark plastic bag dangling from his wrist, tongue poking from the corner of his mouth as he rummaged around it. The black-haired youth walking leisurely beside him glared at him from the corner of his eye.

"Oi, Azula," Zin called, finally unearthing the pack of Udon he was searching for. "Are we there yet? Do you see anyone interesting yet? There's a funny-looking lady over there, she might have something underneath that huge rack of hers..."

"..."

"You're being boring again," Zin whined, pouting as he pulled out a set of chopsticks. He slurped noisily on the noodles as he ate, causing a few passersby on the street to cast strange glances at the silver-haired youth.

Zin adjusted his dark glasses and held up a peace sign to them.

"Yo," he greeted a group of people nonchalantly. He spotted a small family walking their way and grinned. "Hey, you. Yeah, that's a neat-looking kid you got there. Almost makes me wanna eat it. Don't you think this chubby kid's so delectable? -"

"Shut up," Dabi cut in, undertones of vexation in his voice. "You're attracting unnecessary attention, you dimwit. This is supposed to be an inconspicuous operation."

" 'Spicuous, schmicuous. Who cares?" Zin scoffed, downing another mouthful of noodles again. "You're acting like an old lady on menopause. It's not like we've got a bunch of heroes chasing after us today, so I'm gonna do whatever the hell I want."

Dabi's eye twitched slightly, but he didn't give a response to that. He'd learnt by now doing so only encouraged Zin to keep talking and he didn't really feel the urge right now to roast the crowds around them just because he let him succeed in irritating him.

That would be a dead giveaway for sure.

The two villains walked amongst the densely crowded city centre, their figures hidden by the shadows of the buildings they walked next to. Dabi closely monitored their surroundings, his steely blue glaze flitting from face to face with critical intent.

If only I could ditch this deadweight, he thought irritably, glaring at Zin when he winked at a passing lady with her boyfriend. Or better yet...

He didn't care if he was the strongest or the prettiest or whatever else he decided to call himself. It was time.

Ever since All Might's retirement a little over a month ago, the lurking shadows, no longer suppressed by his light, had gradually started moving more vigorously. It was only a matter of time before the organized crime syndicates began baring their fangs. They had to, too...

Or else be consumed from the palm of some small-fry.

"Hey," Zin called, his tone serious as he paused in front of a dark alley. "Look over there."

Dabi stopped and turned to look at where his comrade was pointing. A group of drab, dusty looking guys stood in the middle of the dark alleyway, gathered together like moths to a flame.

I guess he's good for something every once in a while, Dabi thought detestfully as he and Zin moved further into the darkness of the empty space.

The group of men heard the footfalls approaching them and whipped around to see who was there.

"What the hell, bastard?" A heteromorph growled at Dabi. "Your face looks gross."

"Heh," Zin chuckled lightly. "From one disaster to another, huh?"

"Shut up. Take this seriously," Dabi snapped. "I'm not going to get dragged down because you can't keep a lid on your emotions."