Chapter 48

Icelyn

Fear gripped my heart like a vise, and I froze. I had barely survived the last encounter with Isadora, and I knew a second victory was doubtful. She stalked closer to the table, her eyes never leaving mine. I wanted to leap from my seat and hide behind Kohl but would not show her my fear. Instead, I purposely chose an apple from the fruit tray and bit into the juicy fruit.

A wicked smile formed on her blood-red lips, quickly interrupting the message I was sending. She took another step towards me and opened her mouth to speak, but before she had a chance, she was hit with a wall of black mist and flung across the courtyard.

Kohl snatched me from my seat and forced me behind his solid back. I peered around him and watched Isadora pick herself up from the bushes she was entangled in. A pleasurable smile overtook her face, and she trembled all over.

"There is nothing quite like your magic, Kohl. You just don't know what it does to me." She brushed herself off and flipped her hair over her shoulder.

"It will be mine." She smiled while caressing her evil book.

Kohl's muscles tensed as Isadora spoke to the book and hurled her magic toward him. Her magic struck him in the chest, but this time, he never wavered.

"Don't flatter yourself, Isadora. I may not be able to defeat you, but you cannot kill me either, especially now that I have regained full strength. Looks like we are at a standstill."

"Yes, but what fun will shall have."

Kohl shoved me backward, and I fell to the ground as Isadora's magic stung the air. Jen grabbed my arm and pulled me back as Leon stepped up and threw his Day magic at Isadora.

The entire courtyard was engulfed in night and day as Kohl and Leon threw everything they had at Isadora. The fighting was futile. Neither fae nor witch was weakening. It seemed as if this would go on for an eternity.

My heart skidded to a halt when I saw Athen and all of Kohl's army rush into the courtyard. It was their duty and responsibility to protect the kingdom, but they had little chance of victory over someone with so much power. I made eye contact with Isadora. Her eyes were gleaming with unholy evilness.

I stood up to yell for them to get back, but Athen let out a war cry, and they all rushed forward. The evil laugh that left Isadora shook me to my core as she released her magic on the Night Realm fae. One by one, they began to fall to the earth dead. Athen swooped in, blade ready for the kill, but Isadora struck her from the sky.

I rushed to Athen as her burnt and broken body hit the ground in a puff of smoke. I reached out to touch her flaming wing, wishing I had my magic. I could quickly put out the fire with my ice. Kohl appeared next to me, and his mist settled over Athen and extinguished the fire. Kohl glanced back at me and then at his people, who lay broken and bruised on the ground.

"Isadora! Hear me well. I will relinquish my power on one condition." The entire courtyard froze as Kohl's voice boomed across the way. I slowly rose to my feet, tears streaming down my face.

"What is it you wish, oh sexy king?" She took a few steps closer but decided against getting too close.

"Reverse the curse on Icelyn and restore her."

I gasped and gripped Kohl's forearm. What kind of request was that? My mortality mattered very little at the moment. It was certainly not worth Kohl giving up his power. He was the only thing keeping Isadora at bay at this point.

"I knew she was your weakness," Isadora hissed.

"You are wrong." Kohl turned to me and ran his fingers across my cheek and jaw. "She is my strength."

More tears cascaded down my cheek at his words.

"Don't be foolish, Kohl. You cannot do this. Not for something as stupid as restoring me." I choked on my emotions.

I was touched, but most of all, I was angry that he was willing to sacrifice all of Gregorian for me. I knew he loved me beyond measure, but that did not give him the right to sacrifice everyone in my place.

"Done!" Isadora screeched, and I felt her magic strike me in full force.

"No!" I screamed and fell to my knees.

I would never forgive Kohl for doing this, for putting this much guilt upon my shoulders. With Kohl's magic, Isadora would be death reincarnated. My body stung as her magic simmered over my skin. I felt it the instant my powers returned, the familiar hum of my own magic and the ice as it once again flowed through my veins. Kohl reached down and pulled me to my feet.

"There's my snowflake." He smiled, but I could not bring myself to look at him.

"Get on with it. We made a deal, and I upheld my part of the bargain," Isadora screeched.

"How could you do this? You promised..." I looked up into his swirling grey eyes, reminding him of his promise to me on the beach.

Kohl put his finger under my chin, forcing me to keep eye contact with him. "I swore to Isadora that I would relinquish my power. I never specified to who."

Kohl snaked his arms around my waist, crushing his chest to mine, and swallowed me in a kiss that had my body humming with pleasure and love. A powerful, dark force fell over my body, and I gasped and pulled away from Kohl. He looked different, duller, with less power and less life.

"What have you done?" I whispered.

His power rushed through my body like a tsunami, its force nearly knocking me from my feet. My magic and his blended perfectly, seamlessly.

"You deceived me! You think your little queen will be able to defeat me?!" Isadora was foaming with anger and started chanting to her book.

"You're a fool to underestimate her, Isadora. She may look like a queen on the outside, but I can assure you that she is the whole kingdom on the inside." Kohl glanced at Isadora.

"Now you send her to hell where she belongs." Kohl growled in my ear.

With a screech, Isadora hurled her magic at me, but before I could react, Kohl pushed me out of the way and took the brunt of her magic. Kohl went up in flames and exploded in a puff of smoke before my eyes. I am so stunned I can barely move as his ashes liter the air and float to the ground.