Chapter 5

Icelyn

The entire war room was frozen in fear. I was not even sure that any of us dared to take a breath. The mist continued to swirl, taunting us and causing many females in the room to swoon.

My knowledge of the Night Realm extended only as far as the wicked stories that were told to frighten children into behaving.

The Night Realm fae never left their lands, and no one dared to go to their realm, so what did they want now? We would all perish if they joined the Day Realm in the fight against us.

Their wickedness and power knew no bounds. They could invade your mind, manipulate your nightmares and crush you with your worst fears, or so the stories go.

The mist became thicker around my father's vacated seat at the head of the table. It swirled until I could see the silhouette of a large male. The mist slowly faded, leaving behind a fae that leaned lazily in my father's chair with his legs crossed at the ankles and thrown disrespectfully onto the top of the war room table.

Without thinking, I formed a sharp ice blade in my hand and held it close to my body, so the invader would not see my weapon. I had little chance of defeating a Night Realm fae with a sharp piece of ice, but I'd be damned if I went down without a fight.

His eyes instantly shifted to me, and by the smug look on his face, I knew that he knew what I had done. My blood heated to an uncomfortable temperature as he stared into my eyes. My mind screamed for me to look away, but I had lost all control of my senses.

He was the most handsome being I had ever seen in my life. His body was large and rock hard, like God had chiseled him from the mountainside. His messy short hair was as dark as the night, and his gray eyes reminded me of a terrifying storm.

One side of his mouth curled upward in an arrogant grin, and I could not help but marvel at his perfect face, sharp cheekbones, and dark five-o'clock shadow.

"It appears I did not receive an invitation to this little gathering." His voice is low and sensual, a deep baritone that causes my toes to curl inside my shoes.

What was wrong with me?

I heard my father shift nervously behind me, and I turned to look at him.

"What is it you want, Kohl?"

My face snatched back around, and my eyes rounded in horror as my father called the stranger by name. This is not just any Night Realm fae. This was the Night Realm king and the most powerful male in all of Gregorian.

He smiled again like a cat who had caught the canary and finally took his eyes off me and focused on my father.

"I have some information about the Day Realm that you will find detrimental," he answered, clearing his throat and finally pulling his feet from on top of the table and sitting up straight.

"Do you intend to aid us in this war?" my father asked, hope lining his voice.

"I have no desire to squabble over land that I do not desire. I just thought I would pop in and leave you with a little tidbit I recently learned about the Day Realms weapons."

Junis shifted uncomfortably to my left, and Kohl's eyes glided to him.

"What say you, soon-to-be king of the Summer Realm? Care to hear what news I bring?" Kohl asked.

"I would know what you wanted in return for this information first. You give nothing for free."

Kohl slowly stood, leaned forward, and braced his palms upon the table.

"An intelligent answer, how surprising." He laughed maliciously as he looked back toward my father.

"I will tell you all I know about the Day Realm's weapons in exchange for your daughter."

This brought Grimhilde to her feet in one swift motion.

"My daughter is but a child, surely you jest. She is not of age to join with a mate." Grimhilde clutched her throat as Kohl threw his head back and laughed.

Did he really want the youngest daughter of the Winter Realm? Peony had not yet reached maidenhood.

Kohl disintegrated into a veil of mist. I did not have to turn around to know where he went. I felt his presence behind me instantly.

"I do not want a Spring Realm whelp. I want the true daughter of the Winter Realm."

He leaned over top of me, his scent clouding my mind and making me dizzy with want. He smelled of fresh night air, spice, and power. I startled as he ran a finger down the exposed side of my neck. His touch caused my skin to tingle with pleasure, not pain, like the touch of the Summer Realm prince.

"Over my dead body!" In a motion too quick for me to process, Junis leaped from his seat, throwing it to the ground, and shifted into the largest lion I have ever seen.

He crouched low, baring his teeth at the king of the Night Realm. Power rippled from his body like cascading waves, yet Kohl looked at him like he was a mere kitten.

"As you wish." Kohl smiled as Junis pounced, claws extended and ready for the kill.

Kohl's stormy eyes darkened and focused on Junis. Before he could rip into the king, Junis fell over with a sickening cry of anguish. He thrashed on his side; the torment from his cries brought me to my feet.

"Do you wish to know what your betrothed fears the most?" Kohl leaned down and whispered in my ear.

A tear escape the corner of my eye and run down the length of my cheek. Never had I seen something so horrible as the torment of the mind. Junis began pawing at his own eyes, tearing flesh from his face.

"Please!" I turned towards Kohl, gripped his bicep, and squeezed. The power and electricity flowing between our touch had me longing to pull my hand away, but I was desperate to make him stop Junis's torment.

"Don't do this," I asked and stared pleadingly into the swirling depths of the Night Realm king's eyes.