Chapter 11

Icelyn

I glanced around my new surroundings and was once again surprised that it was not a pigsty. On the contrary, the room was breathtaking. Smooth dark marble with streaks of gold lined the floor, and in the center of the room was a massive bed with black silk sheets and a delicate sheer material hung around the bed, making it look inviting. The ceiling was covered in tiny sparkling lights, and I am pretty sure they were stars.

I ventured towards the open balcony and looked out. The massive moon hung so low that I felt I could reach out and touch it. I glanced down as the rush of the waterfall caught my attention, and I breathed deeply. How was it possible for me to be so relaxed in such an unseelie and vile court?

"I hope you are not planning on jumping. It would be a shame to die before you get a chance to see my entire kingdom." Kohl's deep, all too sensual voice vibrated behind me, and I turned to see him sprawled across my bed, the black mist settling from where he materialized.

His hands were placed lazily behind his head, with one leg bent at the knee and the other stretched out. He was beyond sexy in black pants and a black shirt that flared open to reveal his chiseled chest. Being alone with him in my bed made me nervous, bringing back Athen's words. He had another thing coming if he thought I would tumble in bed with him.

His stormy eyes focused on my hand as I formed an ice dagger and held it protectively to my hip. He stood and stalked closer to me, swift and confident like a predator.

"This makes the second time you have formed a blade against me. I suggest you put it away before I lose my patience." He leaned closer and invaded my senses with his manly scent, which made my head spin.

His smugness and my unwanted attraction toward him had me doing the unthinkable. I swung my blade in a downward motion, with the intent of slicing through his chest. Quicker than a flash of light, he gripped my wrist and twisted until my weapon fell to the floor.

"Now what, Snowflake?" he asked with a wicked grin.

"I told you before. I am no snowflake."

I formed another shard of ice in my free hand and swung it toward his head, determined to slice those perfect, smug lips from his face. Again he caught my wrist. He was now holding both of my wrists in his large palms. He slowly started to circle his thumbs over the prominent veins in my wrists, causing an uncontrollable heat to rise within me.

"Now what?" He leaned in as if he was going to kiss me.

My stomach knots when I realized I wanted to feel his lips upon mine, but I would never allow that to happen. He was treating me like a whore, just like Athen said he would. That angered me; if I admitted it, a small part of me was hurt.

My powers burned through my veins as I called upon their extent, but as usual, they did not obey me. My skin started to frost, but the king did not release me like the bat creature did when I did the same thing to him.

He shifted suddenly at my back before I knew it, pinning my hands painfully behind me.

"You have so much power within you but do not know how to control it. If you do not conquer it, it will conquer you." I felt his chest rumble against my back as he spoke and his warm breath against the shell of my ear as he whispered to me. My body tingled all over, and I was both confused and mortified by my reaction to his touch.

"I cannot learn what I have not been taught," I said between clenched teeth.

He released me, and I stumbled forward, barely catching myself before I tripped over my dress.

"Then we start a dawn."

I wrinkled my brow in confusion. "You...intend to train me to use my powers?" I know I stammered, but what he said had my heart leaping joyfully.

"You are part of my court now, everyone here gives me their best, and you cannot be at your best without control."

Against my better judgment, I opened my mouth to thank him, but he cut me off.

"Oh, and your steed is in the stables." He stopped again and gave me the once over.

"I want to see him."

His eyes sparkled with mischief, and I could tell he was fighting an inward battle.

"Tomorrow, Snowflake, tonight you rest."

I nervously clinched the ruffled pink fabric of my gown in my hands. Nero must be so scared, but at least he is safe. Kohl looked down at my dress, and I released it instantly, hoping to draw his attention elsewhere.

"I don't want anything that belongs to me looking like that." He waved his hand, and I felt the heavy, cumbersome gown I was wearing disappear, and in its place was a soft, sheer black nightgown with a plunging V. My cheeks heated as I tried to cover my chest by folding my arms.

"So shy, little Snowflake." He smiled as he reached for the door to leave.

"I don't belong to you," I finally managed to say.

He turned back and winked at me. "Keep telling yourself that."