Chapter 1 : Not-So-Friendly Workers

Henry Morris sat in his cubicle, slaving away at his work. It was all so boring, and the bland environment didn't make things the least bit easier on him. He found his eyes constantly darting back and forth between the wall clock, his computer screen, and back again. It was almost lunch break , which meant it was almost time to be able to take a nice stretch and maybe make himself a cup of coffee, and frankly, he was very, very happy to have a good reason to get up from his chair and away from the screen.

Once the clock reached 12:30 PM, Henry practically rushed out of his cubicle and headed to the break room to buy himself a snack and a coffee. He didn't bring a lunch with him that day, he didn't really feel like packing himself one, the man was just too tired from working overtime, and he wanted to get as much sleep as he possibly could before the next dreadful day was to come. He pushed open the door and found his boss, Mr.Kennington, and a new, unfamiliar face dressed in a white work shirt and a red tie.

"And here is the break room, Austin." Mr.Kennington said, an audible hint of joy heard in his voice.

The other man, presumably Austin, just nodded, a small smile plastered onto his face. Henry eyed both the men as they chatted, silently listening to every word that was said while digging through his pocket to find his wallet.

"Oh! Henry, hello! I didn't realize you were in here, you were so quiet." His boss chuckled to himself. Henry turned and stretched a fake smile across his pale face. 

"Yeah..."

"This is the software development branches newest interns, Austin Sanders." Mr.Kennington laid a hand on Austins shoulder. Austin eyed Henry with an expressionless look on his face. Henrys mind instantly began making a list of possible thoughts Austin could have been thinking about him, most of which were mostly negative insults. But unlike the rest of his coworkers, Henry couldn't tell what this person might be thinking. He was just too... cold. It scared the man a bit.

"Please treat him kindly, Mr.Morris. He is your new coworker, after all." Mr.Kennington spoke. Henry knew he was hinting at his behavior around the office. He usually glared at anyone who got too close, shoved past other people who were in his way, and barely interacted with anyone or anything besides his computer. Some coworkers have even complained of Henry watching them for long periods of time. It wasn't his fault that he felt more comfortable knowing everything about anyone who worked in the office. To Henry, Austin seemed like another worker who would try and fake being 'buddy buddy' with him just to brag and say "Im friends with the office weirdo."

Henry gave the two one last fake smile as he left, but maybe smiled a bit too much. Austin seemed to be watching him as he left.