Chapter 2: Jealous?

Three months. Its been three months since Henry met Austin.

Three months of endless taunting and torment, three months of his efforts being wasted, only for Austin to take all the glory in the eyes of Mr.Kennington. Three months of trying to be recognized, to be useful, only for his boss to exclaim: 

"Mr.Morris, you should be more like Austin. Look how neat his work is."

"Mr.Morris, maybe Austin can show you a better, less complicated way to do things."

"Mr. Morris, give this to Austin for me. Its a gift for all his hard work."

Henry was sick of it. He wanted to scream, he wanted to yell at his boss, at Austin. He wanted to hurt Austin. He has been in the company for far longer than Austin has been, and not once had he been given an ounce of praise for his work.

Henry slammed his door shut to his apartment. It was a mess from all the work he had been doing just to get ahead of Austin, just to do something his boss considered good. Dishes were stacked high in the sink, papers were scattered on every table, blankets scattered on the couch which he had used as a makeshift bed, it was all just a huge mess. Henry was a mess as well. He had stopped taking care of himself as much as he used to and focused on work. He hated it, but he just wanted to be appreciated for all his hard work. To be noticed by someone.

He wanted people to know that he wasn't useless.

Henry sat on his couch, unsure of what to do. He was too tired to clean up his mess, but too uncomfortable living in the filth. He just didn't understand why this was happening to him. Why Austin had to come along and break down everything he worked so hard to build.

---

"Austin? Is something wrong? You been checking behind your back constantly for a few days now." Johnathan spoke, a hint of worry laced in his words.

"Im fine. I just been feeling like Im being watched, I guess. Maybe just anxiety or something." Austin replied.

Henry sat in his cubicle, pretending to be working while listening in on the two. His cubicle happened to be near the break room, and since that was the case, he was able to listen in on many peoples conversations.

Hearing Austin speak filled him with anger and frustration. He wanted Austin to just shut up and be gone from his life. Unfortunately for Henry, the conversation continued, and he couldn't help but listen in.

"How so?" Johnathan asked.

"I don't know, just that weird feeling someone has been trying to  figure out my daily routine. Its weird, though. People really admire me, yet the attention has made me uncomfortable. Especially from Todd."

"Todd has called you the best intern he's ever had, come to think of it."

"And that's the thing- He praises me so much that I can't help but feel... uncomfortable. He even made that Henry guy everyone talks about give me a mug that said 'best intern' on it."

"He probably just really appreciates you. Don't get so worked up over it."