Bojack Horseman

Chronology : Post-canon
Pairings : Bojack/Mr. Peanutbutter
Headcanons : Bojack moves in with Mr. Peanutbutter after he's released from prison
Author's note : Author is not having a good time but he can't really express his feelings to anyone in real life for fear of them growing even more tired of him so he's projecting onto Bojack

"I think I was born bad" Bojack said solemnly one evening. He'd been out of prison for a little while and had promptly moved in with Mr. Peanutbutter because he figured that would be a good step in his personal growth.

This particular self-loathing statement was one of the first to come out of his mouth not as a fucked-up workaround to not apologize or to throw himself a pity party but instead a simple statement to throw out into the world, not necessarily expecting any kind of response.

To him, it was simply the truth, and he could finally express it without an ulterior motive. However, that didn't stop Mr. Peanutbutter from responding.

"No one is born bad, Bojack" he said as though it was the most obvious thing in the world and the reformed horse had to bite back a tirade of insults towards the innocent dog. "And you're not bad- Maybe you were in the past, but you've grown a lot, which I'm proud of you for"

"I drove everyone away, Mr. Peanutbutter" Bojack replied simply, more tired than anything. It was true as well- Sure, he was still in touch with Princess Carolyn and Todd, but their interactions never went beyond the occasional 'Happy Birthday!' or 'Merry Christmas!' or 'Hey, congrats on the new job!'

"Not everyone" Mr. Peanutbutter smiled at him, and that made the pit of guilt and dread in the pit of Bojack's stomach grow even more because fuck, now I seem really ungrateful of the man who's literally letting me live with him

"Yeah" Bojack nodded weakly. "I'm sorry. I'm being stupid"

"You're not being stupid" Mr. Peanutbutter shook his head before sinking into contemplation for a moment. Bojack opened his mouth to let out another string of apologies but the dog spoke again before he could get the first word out. "Would a hug make you feel better?"

"You don't have to-"

"It was a yes or no question, Bojack"

"Yes"

And, with that, Mr. Peanutbutter wrapped his arms around the other man and, for a moment, everything seemed like it would be okay in the end.