1

an obnoxious ringing echoed through the L/n household, though no one went to stop it. no one went to pick up the phone, because no one could hear it. Mr. and Mrs. L/n were away for the week for a romantic getaway (something they said was way overdue) and their daughter, Y/n, had fallen asleep at her desk, after a gruelling 3 hours of studying.

the ringing stopped for a few moments before it started again, this time waking the sleeping girl. she trudged out of her sanctuary, down the stairs and to the living room, trying to comb through her knotted and tangled hair as she did so.

'hello?'

'...hello' a deep, rumbling voice replied after a short silence. it wasn't familiar.

'who is this?'

'who is this?' he echoed.

'hmm.. I think you may have the wrong number' she mumbled, swallowing the uneasy feeling which had started to build up in her chest.

'yeah... I think I do.' he replied, pausing before he continued. 'goodnight.'

y/n ended the call, slightly perplexed but now less anxious. she walked around her home, locking the windows and doors, thinking about the call. who was the man with the angelic voice?

she returned to her room, shutting the curtains and crashing down on her bed. it was only 9.30 at night, but she felt exhausted already, even on a Sunday, school was draining the life out of her. instead of sleeping, she grabbed the magazine her best friend, Tatum, had given her and flipped through the pages, occasionally pausing to look at a picture of an outfit she'd never be able to afford, or a moisturiser worth more than her house.

-----

the next morning, Y/n woke up with a strange sense of dread enveloping her body. she felt like she was going to be sick, but she had no idea what caused it. it was just clawing at her stomach, and her heart was beating rapidly. she chalked it down to a bad dream she couldn't remember, and began to get ready for school, already dreading it.

she made her way to the bathroom, stopping dead in her tracks when she opened the door: the window was open. she was positive she'd locked it, or at the very least closed it, before she'd gone to bed. she stared at it for a second, trying to figure out why it was open, and then she rushed over to it, slamming it shut. she must've gotten up in the middle of the night and, for whatever reason, opened it. it was fine. everything was fine.

shakily, she smoothed down her shirt, brushed her teeth and then made her way downstairs to get her shoes on and leave to school.
-----

the normally peaceful campus was surrounded by police, news reporters and cars- some belonging to the police, some to the reporters. students were shouting and pushing each other to try and get in frame of one of the cameras, and even the reporters were being occasionally jostled about. except for one; Gale Weathers.

the obnoxious woman wore a bright, neon green outfit and deep red lipstick. she was beautiful: her back hair was always perfectly styled and her eyes were the type you could get lost in should you stare at them too long. unfortunately, she was only pretty on the outside. personality-wise, she was loud, nosy and extremely pushy- and she didn't have the best sense of style.

Y/n speed walked ahead to her friend, Sidney, who had arrived slightly earlier than her and was now very slowly making her way to the building. she linked arms with her and glared at the people surrounding the place.

'what's going on?' she asked, eyeing Gale wearily as they made their way closer.

'I'm not sure either... Tate will know though.' Sidney replied, looking away when she realised that Gale had spotted them.