4

-----[Y/n's POV]

I stared down at my feet, replaying the events of the night in my head. it was terrifying; I thought I was going to die! I felt sad and betrayed but also incredibly lucky; I'd been attacked, yes, but I'd survived, I'd managed to fight him off. casey hadn't been so lucky... neither had Steve.

Tate was stood at my side, a hand on my shoulder, foot tapping impatiently. her touch was comforting, but in our current environment, it didn't do much. cancerous coughs, the smell of smoke and coffee and hurried typing enveloped me, as well as Dewey's minty smell- due to his brown leather jacket which was draped over my shoulders.

'Y/n? hey! are you ok?' I heard Sidney's voice ask. she rushed towards me, kneeling in front of me with a concerned look on her face.

'Sid... I'm so sorry- I can't believe I put your boyfriend in prison!' I groaned, burying my head in my hands and sighing. she rested her arms on my knees and her head on her arms and smiled at me softly.

'hey, dont worry about it; there's a chance that he's the killer, that he's the one who attacked you! don't be sorry for defending yourself, ok?' Sidney was such an amazing person: forgiving, understanding and, just like Tatum, incredibly comforting.

our friendship was because of Stu; I'd been his friend for a while, way before Casey and him were a thing (I set them up, actually) and then Billy joined us so we were a little trio. then, Stu and Tate got together, so I became friends with her as well and Sid and Billy became a thing, so I'd started getting closer to her as well.

'thanks sid, but I still feel bad. I am glad that you're not mad at me though.' I mustered a weak smile and followed Tatum with my eyes as she meandered over to Dewey.

'you know, Billy and I have been having... problems recently. not big, bad ones, but ones that make me think that we shouldn't be together... so this helps me a little bit actually.' Sid mumbled to me.

'you're gonna break up with him?!' I whisper-shouted, trying not to draw anymore attention to us.

Sidney shrugged. 'I'm considering it, but I haven't fully decided yet...' she sighed.

it was quiet between us for a bit, which was nice; I got to gather my thoughts a bit more and ponder about this whole Billy thing.

-----

'we can't be sure that he's your attacker, Y/n, so we're going to keep him over night. we should hopefully have his phone records by tomorrow, so we can see if he was the one calling you.' Dewey explained, sighing heavily. 'it's late, we should get going home. go out the back and I'll bring the car round- there's an absurd amount of people out front waiting for you.'

Tatum and Sidney walked on either side of me, our arms linked and shoulders pressed close. it was nice, made me feel safer, and it wasn't putting pressure on my injured arm.

we stood outside, looking at the massive crowd a few feet away from us as we waited for Dewey. we thought we were safe, but Gale Weathers' shrill voice attacked us.

'Y/n! some night, are you alright? what happened?' while her words seemed genuine, her tone, the microphone and the camera did not.

'she's not answering any questions, gale.' Tatum's words dripped with venom as she glared closely at the woman.

Sidney pushed Tate back gently, shaking her head. 'shes just doing her job, right Gale?'

'thats right.'

Dewey's car had pulled up, and more people were flooding the alley now, upon realising that we were there.

'so, how's the book?'