0 ~ Prologue

A/N: I feel like this chapter is kinda unnecessary and irrelevant but it sets the flavor for the rest of the fic so here ya go <3

"Hey, Shrimpy!"

Yuu felt Floyd's arms resting on her shoulders from behind. "Hey, Floyd," she greeted before taking a bite out of her sandwich. She glared at Ace, Deuce, and Grim, who were all currently trying to back away from Floyd.

Floyd took notice of that. "Aw, don't be scared of me! I promise I'm nice now!" He gave them a large, toothy grin that only seemed to scare them even more.

"So..." Yuu balled up her sandwich wrapper and tossed it into a nearby trash can. "You need something?"

Yuu could practically hear the pout in Floyd's voice as he spoke. "What, I can't say hi to you, Lil' Shrimpy?" He rested his cheek on the top of her head and let out a deep sigh.

"Problem is you're scaring off my friends," she laughed, looking at the three that were still trying to scoot away.

Grim let out an indignant noise. "Myah!? I ain't scared!"

"Really?" Floyd raised his eyebrows and removed his arms from Yuu, now taking an intimidating step toward Grim. He unhinged his jaw and stuck out his long tongue, a grin on his face all the while. "You're not scared? I bet I could eat you whole."

Ace and Deuce's expressions were both incredibly fearful, and Grim's looked on the verge of tears. He darted to Yuu, cowering in her lap. "Myah! I'm sorry! Don't eat me! I have a hench-human to take care of!"

Yuu let out a laugh at his pleas for mercy and Floyd looked as though he had been adequately entertained. "Fine, I'll spare you this time," Floyd said, letting out a high-pitched giggle before leaning down next to Grim's ear. "But next time you might not be so lucky, Sealie-O."

Floyd pulled back with a wide grin and began walking away, waving goodbye. "See ya later, Shrimpy, Crabby, Mackerel!"

The three let out a collective sigh of relief and Ace turned to Yuu. "Dude, seriously, how are you so chill around that guy? He's terrifying!"

"You act like he was actually gonna eat Grim," she responded, letting out a laugh. "Seriously, loosen up! He was only joking."

Deuce brought a hand to his chin, staring at Grim, who was still shaking in Yuu's arms. "I bet he could fit Grim in his mouth if he really wanted to, though..."

Grim let out another terror-filled shriek and Yuu stroked his ears comfortingly, shooting Deuce a glare. "Very true, but don't scare Grim!"

That seemed to snap Grim out of his petrified state. "I ain't scared!" He screeched again, though after what had just happened, no one was convinced, the three of them staring at him dryly. "Okay, so maybe I was a little scared. But just a teensy bit! C'mon, with the way he was lickin' his lips and lookin' at me, he was ready to chow down!"

"Sure, whatever you say," Yuu replied, continuing to stroke Grim's ears. He hopped out of her lap and to the other side of the table, baring his teeth in a way that was meant to be intimidating but came off as more cute than anything. "And don't treat me like a house cat!" he growled.

"Honestly though, Yuu's the most fearless one of all of us, and she can't even use magic," Deuce sighed, taking a long sip out of his juice box. "Remember last week when she tackled that guy from Savanaclaw that was trying to steal our potion in class?"

"More like she doesn't have a sense of self-preservation," Ace scoffed, turning to Yuu. "It was a corrosive potion and you still tackled the guy! Seriously, man, I can't tell if you're brave or just stupid."

"Since when are you any more careful than I am?" Yuu retorted. "Mr. 'I stole Riddle's favorite fountain pen for a bet'?"

"Yeah, and I was smart enough to get away with it! He didn't catch me, did he?"

"Oh, you wanna talk about being smart? Remind me, who out of the four of us has the best test scores?"

"Well, it's definitely not Deuce."

"What does Deuce have to do with anything!?" Yuu turned to Deuce and patted his shoulder with a kind smile. "And don't worry, Deuce, you're smart in my heart."

"What does that even mean..." Deuce murmured to Grim as the other two continued their argument for the rest of lunch.

Unbeknownst to any of them, Floyd was watching them all throughout lunch. Or rather, he was watching Yuu. See, ever since everything regarding Azul's overblot had been resolved, he had taken an interest in her.

Romantic interest, perhaps. Perhaps not.

Floyd never bothered with technicalities; he was curious and wanted to know more about her. What were her goals, her aspirations? Why did she keep going even when everything was against her? What did she think of him? Was she really not scared of him?

And when Floyd had questions, he would not stop until he had answers.