You're kidding

Clay

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I listened to the water around me. It's peaceful. I then hear a voice that makes me open my eyes to see her.

"Hey"

"Hey, what are you doing under there?"

"Just thinking."

"About what? Wait let me guess. You were thinking about making love to me all morning and then taking me out for a really big breakfast?"

"Close"

"Yeah?"

"I was picturing you soaking wet with all your clothes on"

"No"

She tried to run, but it was too late I grabbed her arm and pulled her into the tub.

We get ready together after that. Being with her makes me happy in the mornings. Can't imagine not waking up next to her.

We got out of her apartment checking the mail as usual, and she drove me to work, but before we got there I had to handle a work call.

"Got time for a little breakfast?" She asks

"You know I can't," I tell her

"You know, share a paper, trade sections?"

"Sam, I'm late as it is."

"I don't even know what section you like, Clay. I deserve my happily ever after, too"

"I know you do."

"And I'm going to tell her, soon. I promise."

"Have a good day."

"You, too."

I leave and walk out to my mother's home. I'm ready for today. Three people make life worth living. My mother, Sam, and...

"Hey lover boy," she hugs me. "Did you get here with Sam?"

"Yeah, she just dropped me off. How's my mother doing?"

She was about to answer when my mom interrupted her.

"Don't you dare answer that truthfully Lena," my mother said walking in. She hugs me.

"Good morning, Mom."

"Don't forget we're meeting the board at 2."

"I can't do 2. I'm meeting with Dr. Harper this afternoon." From the corner of my eye, I can see Lena making a face.

"Just be there. These Japanese companies are ruthless. We have to close this merger." She says before walking out of the room.

Helena was about to walk out of the room, but I stopped her.

"What was that look you made?"

"What look, I didn't make any look," she says trying to leave.

"When I mentioned Murphy, you made a look."

"No. I didn't"

"It's the same look you gave me when I told you I was seeing Sam, Lena."

"Okay, so what, I make a face when I don't like people, no big deal, now bye Clay."

"Why don't you like her?" She doesn't know it, because I don't tell her, but I care about her opinion a lot. It's always been that way ever since we were kids.

"It doesn't matter why I don't like her, Clay, as long as you're happy." She says. Her phone then rings. She answer's professionally before she hangs up.