Chapter Two

SLAM!!

I jumped at the sound of Jaiden shutting our locker.

"Awake yet?"

"I am now. Jeez Jaiden, did you have to close it so loud?" I tried blinking my blurry vision away.

"You started snoring in the middle of the hallway. How long did you even stay up last night?"

I smiled "You don't wanna know."

I've been trying my hardest to stay awake at school today but my efforts remained unsuccessful, teachers kept having to wake me up in class. But, in moments like this, it helps having a goody-two-shoes reputation. They were more concerned than upset and some of them even let me nap if I finished my work early. I suppose the sleepiness is to be expected. The adrenaline from last night paired with my usual insomnia left me awake for at least an hour after I got home.

No regrets, though. I've felt happier than I have in a long time and despite my incredibly sleep deprived face, I feel like I'm glowing.

A blonde haired boy perked up as I passed him. "Salena, wait!"

For better or worse, that glow is definitely noticeable since Zane's been losing his mind seeing me so visibly chipper after the one night I didn't speak to him. I ignored him yet again and kept walking with Jaiden to class.

"Hey, don't you think you've been mad at him long enough?" There it is, the conversation I was dreading all day.

"Nope."

"You've nearly ignored him for the whole day. The silent treatment isn't exactly a good look on you."

"He broke someone's nose, Jaiden. That guy didn't even come to school today! And this is his sixth fight this year, how many more am I supposed to just excuse?"

"Maybe he had a good reason. You yourself say that Zane wouldn't pick a fight with someone without needing to."

I grumbled at their words. Zane was known to be a bit of a bully since highschool started. I used to be someone he targeted but I still treated him like a human and I guess that won him over or something. He had friends but apparently they were just for show, I was the only one who didn't see him as a heartless monster so he treated me differently. Getting to know him better, he really was a fun guy to be around. I wish his anger wasn't so easily set off, people would honestly like him more.

"I know and you're right, he probably did have a reason. But I don't know, I just don't feel okay with this right now."

"So you're just taking your anger out on him then?"

"No, I'm not, I-I think. I'm just...Look I'll forgive him when I'm ready, okay?"

"Since when were you so petty."

It stung a bit. It's not that I didn't plan on forgiving him, or that I didn't know I was putting Jaiden in an awkward spot with this whole situation. Or that I didn't feel bad acting like this. I just can't shake off the feeling that he did what he did for a bad reason. I know he's a good person deep down and I want to give him the benefit of the doubt but something's stopping me. And honestly, the confusion from all that made me set it to the side altogether. I'm too tired to think and just wanted to reminisce about the feeling leftover from last night a little longer. Without having to deal with all of this.

But Jaiden is probably right. I guess I am just being petty. I tapped my desk in annoyance for a bit, then sighed. Defeated, I whipped out my phone to text Zane.

After finishing my last class, I waited outside the school building for him at our usual spot. It didn't take long till I saw him running over. He yanked me into a hug immediately, way too fast for me to stop him.