Chapter Four

"Remember we'll be back by nine, this place better be spotless or you're staying up and making sure it is!"

"I know Phuphu*, I've got it. You and Meeta just enjoy your day."

My aunt called for her daughter who was still at the mirror adjusting how she looked, smoothening out her patterned gold dress and putting any flyaway strands back in place. They were both going to a birthday party for one of my aunt's friend's sister's brother-in-law's son and, as usual, I wasn't invited. Instead, I got tasked with keeping the apartment in check while they're gone in case there's an explosion or something. They never give me a better reason.

"Hurry up child, we're going to be late!"

"Mommy you're the one who always says beauty takes time."

Meeta took one last look in the mirror and joined her mom at the door.

"Well, don't you look stunning!"

"Um, of course I do? Have I ever not looked perfect?" There it is, my ever so humble cousin. I mean don't get me wrong I admire her confidence, just crosses a line when she starts putting others down for not looking as good as her. And by others I mostly mean me.

But regardless, it was true. Meeta did look stunning all day everyday. She's only fifteen but still considered the beauty of our family, especially to our relatives outside America. Tall, dark eyes, milky skin. Shiny black hair done up in a tight bun. Meeta takes great care to always look picture perfect.

I waved goodbye as they left for the party. It did feel a little bad, never getting to tag along and join them anywhere. But then again, eight years of technically being in debt to my aunt didn't exactly leave any respect for me so parties are the least of my concerns. She acts as if not yelling at me for one minute would end with tragedy just because she's letting me stay here for free. My only form of compensation: taking care of the house. Cleaning, shopping, running errands, all that jazz. It's either that or a job so I chose household chores, it's got more perks.

Like getting to choose my own schedule! As always, I was told ahead of time that they'd be out today so while my aunt and Meeta were sleeping last night, I got the majority of the cleaning done (with the exception of their rooms, of course). I asked Jaiden if we could hang out today and miraculously they agreed so I had to make sure today's cleaning would take no more than an hour, even if that sacrificed a little bit of sleep yesterday. All I've gotta do now is just some light sweeping. Totally worth it in my opinion.

Soon after I was done, I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket and saw it was a call from Jaiden. Fumbling with the buttons I eventually managed to answer.

"Jaiden? Are you out already? Give me like ten minutes I'll-"

"I can't make it."

Wait, what? "Wh-what do you mean?"

"I can't make it today, something came up. I just wanted to quickly call you and let you know."

Beep!

They hung up.

My heart sank thinking about their words. Something came up? I've been so excited to hang out with Jaiden all day and now something came up? We already haven't spent much time together lately. They don't talk as much at school and stopped responding to my texts. I got worried I did something wrong but every time I'd gain the courage to ask they'd just say they were low on energy and I'd accept that answer because what else could I do? After all of this time of practically begging them, I finally got them to agree on making plans in hopes we could talk and now today of all days something just happened to come up?