Act II

The boy looked in horror. He had just saved one man from the river, now there was another floating down?

Regardless, he jumped back into the river, desperately paddling to reach the young man. Fighting the waves, he got back to the shore.

The two unconscious men were laid next to eachother. One covered in bandages, and the other, you, in a plain button-up and trousers. Slowly but surely, the two of you began waking up.

The bandaged brunet's face twisted unpleasantly as he stared at your saviour.

The white haired boy glanced nervously, "You were floating in the river... Are you two okay?"

You were too frozen to speak. Sure, you understood him, having learnt Japanese, but you didn't want to respond. Brother told you not to... But you had just escaped from your brother?

Yet the world continued moving, whether you liked it or not. The bandaged man frowned,

"You saved me... Ugh," he then realised he wasn't alone, "Oh? And who might you be? Another stranger who tried to commit suicide?"

Finally, your lips opened, able to speak, "Yes?"

His eyes immediately lit up, "then, would you care to join me in a double suicide?"

The man who saved you looked absolutely horrified. Several emotions flashed across his face.

"Wha..?" He was cut off by his own stomach grumbling. Both you and the bandaged man stared at him.

Another man approached. He was yelling. Loudly. It made you flinch, and you felt panic climb up. Your heart was pounding. Just the thought of being yelled at made you shiver. The world began blurring... You could no longer understand any of the words spoken... And finally, it went black.

Then the world slowly filled with light. But the scenery was different. A restaurant..?

In front of you, the three men from before.
The bandaged man, the homeless looking kid and the angry man.

"Nom nom?" The white-haired kid spoke, his mouth full of food. Upon closer observation, the black streak in his hair almost made him look like a white tiger.

It seemed as though the bandaged man was the only one who noticed you were awake, the other two continuing on as 'normal'. He whispered into your ear, "Oh, you're awake. I'm Dazai, the kid is Atsushi and the one with glasses is Kunikida. What's your name?"

You leaned away, but whispered back to him, "my name is (Y/N) Turgenev. Thanks for the introduction." Dazai seemed to recognise your name, he lit up with a smirk. But you ignored it, and turned your attention back to Atsushi and Kunikida.

Atsushi was letting out muffled noises, yet Kunikida seemed to understand him just fine.

Then, Dazai spoke up. "How exactly are you two communicating?"

A small mountain of empty bowls sits on the table in front of Atsushi. He looks incredibly satisfied. So much so, that you shook away a small tinge of jealousy, before it could actually develop. There was no reason to hate Atsushi, or at least not yet. He was the boy who saved you from the river, after all. Even if it was your intention to end your life...

Part of you couldn't help but zone out, barely being able to comprehend the conversation. All you could gather was Atsushi's sob story.

'How ridiculous. Oh well, he deserves to be able to speak his backstory freely. He seems to not have anything, though.'

After a few more minutes, you were thrown back into reality by the sight of Kunikida pinning Atsushi against the floor.

"It's been after me! It almost killed me! If it's nearby, I need to run, or-"

Atsushi got cut off as his chin hit the ground. Kunikida was on top of him, glaring down. "The Armed Detective Agency deals in risky cases like these. You may pay for your meal with your arm, or by telling us all you know."

You decided to stay silent, slightly unnerved. Kunkida gave you a bad feeling, with how aggressive he was. Something about how he raised his voice... Your brother wouldn't do that. Sure, he was a sadist who enjoyed seeing your fear, but he took care to never raise his voice at you...

And why were you thinking of your brother? You had quite literally just escaped from him. But the emotional control he had over you. Your ability relied on his. You were his puppet, even after escaping.