Act VIII

Someone came into the cafe. A young woman, presumably the one who was on call with Junichiro just moments prior. An awkward silence hung around as everyone just observed.

"Uhm. Let's see, an investigation request, right? And..." Junichiro glances over his notes. However, he was interrupted by a certain bandages man.

"Beautiful," Dazai got on his knees and cradled the lady's hand, "as bold as a water lily, and as sweet as a princess. Would you like to commit a double suicide with me?"

The woman looked so uncomfortable, it radiated off of her and onto everyone else. So, you kicked Dazai's head. With a loud thud, the brunet fell to the floor. Everyone looked even more shocked. Kunikida had a faint glance of approval in his gaze.

Sighing in frustration, you dragged him away to an empty room. Finally, his eyes darkened and dimmed. It was just you two. Alone.

"Dazai... Why do you do it?"

The man in question chuckled, a smirk dancing along his emotionless face, "I know you saw the tracker, little Turgenev. It was all your gaze was focused on, I'm surprised nobody else noticed your staring."

"Yes, but there was no need to harass her to put it on her. Mafioso or not, a woman should be respected."

Dazai opened his mouth, about to challenge what you were saying.

Immediately, you grabbed his hair and kicked him in the stomach. He gasped out in fake pain. But you, you had no intention of stopping until the cries were genuine.

Finally, Dazai was reapplying his bandages after checking the freshly forming bruises. You sighed, and tossed a fresh roll to him.

"There. Respect women. I'll beat you up if you say otherwise. And have a clean bandage roll, those things don't even look like bandages anymore."

You looked at him, a slight look of guilt dancing along your face. He saw it, smiled and waved dismissively. A strange, hazy light formed in his dull eyes when you passed him the clean bandages. From the way his lips shifted, it was clear he wanted to say something, but chose not to.

"Not going to speak? Fine. You know, if you need help with anything, you can ask, Dazai." You frowned as you gazed at him. He tilted his face, the brunet locks falling down. Slowly, he nodded, but a look of shame danced across his visage.

Gently helping him up, the two of you walked back to where the others were. Immediately, Dazai lit up like a lamp, reverting back to his usual extroverted self. There was no sign of the emotionless male that had stood before you moments prior.

Kunikida turned his head to you, almost immediately, "Kids, you're going. Smugglers are still outlaws but usually the ones that run away are those that can profit from smuggling. It's perfect as your first job. You're just going to keep guard. Plus... Tanizaki, go with them."

A few minutes later, Kunikida was presenting you with a photo of a young man. The man's hair was pitch black, with the front ends having a hint of white peeking through. His eyes looked so empty. This man looked as though he had everything, yet nothing at the same time.

Amongst the swirls of Dazai's emotion, discomfort and familiarity surged up in the chaos. They danced, even reaching you. Yet nobody else noticed.

Atsushi looked up at Kunikida, "This person is?"

"Mafia." Dazai answered him.